History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandru H.

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 13, 2009, 03:11:29 PM
Amenhotep I is the only one left I think.   :D

Don't know jack about him though.

WARM!!!

Btw, the fact that the ancient authors knew shit about Tuthmosis III or Ramses II was because only the older pharaohs had been deified and their acts taught in the priestly schools. The newer ones were basically forgotten until the 19th century...

Another hint: he was part of the greatest Egyptian dynasty ever, one in which architecture, literature and good taste achieved an extraordinary balance. Plus it was probably the most stable and reasonable line of kings that ever walked this Earth.

The Minsky Moment

Must be the founder of the dynasty.  But I can't recall the name.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Alexandru H.

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 13, 2009, 03:16:29 PM
Must be the founder of the dynasty.  But I can't recall the name.

The founder was Amenhotep I. :)

Ok, the answer is Sesostris III, the conqueror of Nubia and father of an equally-gifted pharaoh, as Amenhotep III.

The Twelfth Dynasty is probably one of the happiest periods in human civilization for a nation.

Razgovory

Still I don't think he conquered Thrace...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Hmm . . . pretty sure Middle Kingdom Egypt never got anywhere remotely near the Crimea.  even the Levant is unlikely except possibly in a razzia.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Alexandru H.

It's not the point.

Herodot found out about Sesotris from the priest since Sesostris was basically a God by that time. He had heard about his great conquests but decided to place them even further in the same way he had arranged the Ninus-Semiramis story: every old civilization needed a Cyrus-like figure that united Asia. It was his signature: placing "Asia" as a beast in order to play the persian wars like a Gigantomachia-type of conflict.

Bocchoris got a similar treatment. He was a short-lived unimportant pharaoh that got the reputation of being the greatest law-giver of Egypt. Only in this case it wasn't the religious influence, but the greek trading tradition, that probably had dealt once with this guy...

Viking

Try asking a question about somebody other than the only mythical pharoah to go to romania.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2009, 03:40:18 PM
Try asking a question about somebody other than the only mythical pharoah to go to romania.

Wasn't the purpose.

Sesostris III is actually one of the most famous pharaohs. Between the Pyramide Triade and Tutmosis III is certainly the most-well known. Now, a real obscure question would have been about the first female pharaoh or the creator of the Labirinth... :P

Savonarola

Quote from: Alexandru H. on October 13, 2009, 03:43:01 PM

Wasn't the purpose.

Sesostris III is actually one of the most famous pharaohs. Between the Pyramide Triade and Tutmosis III is certainly the most-well known. Now, a real obscure question would have been about the first female pharaoh or the creator of the Labirinth... :P

Merneith, David Bowie  Those are easy.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Viking

Quote from: Viking on October 13, 2009, 03:40:18 PM

Wasn't the purpose.

Regent Schmegent. Hatshepshut is the first definitive female Pharoah. Daedalus.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alexandru H.

Not really.

The first female pharaoh is Sobekneferu, the last representative of the 12th dinasty even if Greeks have invented an earlier one, called Nitocris (that killed all nobles responsible for the death of her brother).

The creator of the Labirinth is Amenhotep III, the son of Sesostris III and the father of Sobekneferu. The 12th dynasty has produced some great individuals... :)

The Minsky Moment

Amenhotep III was a New Kingdom pharoah, hence not of the 12th dynasty.
--Joan Robinson

Alexandru H.

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 13, 2009, 05:06:25 PM
Amenhotep III was a New Kingdom pharoah, hence not of the 12th dynasty.

Yeah, my bad. I thought you said Amenamhat but went with the Amenhotep version from then on...

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Savonarola on October 13, 2009, 03:45:32 PM

Wasn't the purpose.

Merneith, David Bowie  Those are easy.
:lol:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

PDH

Did that Pharoah who conquered Romania see mystical Ankhs on his wall?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM