And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: Agelastus on October 10, 2009, 01:12:31 PM
I admit to being very impressed.

I studied Lucullus' villas a couple of years ago, one of the articles actually had it as its title.  :)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: Maladict on October 10, 2009, 12:35:02 PM
What did the Venetians do that highly impressed Henry III of France when attending a state banquet in the city?

Avoided spitting on the floor?

Or ate with their courtesans, rather than their wives?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Maladict on October 10, 2009, 12:35:02 PM
What did the Venetians do that highly impressed Henry III of France when attending a state banquet in the city?

Showed him one of the first examples of opera or ballet in history? Actually the first opera was, I think, created in the 1590s, so it's a bit late... but ballet could be a possibility.

Maladict

No, all cold.
They were showing off their naval power.

PDH

Quote from: Maladict on October 10, 2009, 08:39:35 AM
Xerxes togatus?

Knew this one too - but then, I always liked Lucullus.  "Tonight, PDH dines with PDH"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Agelastus

Quote from: PDH on October 10, 2009, 05:43:51 PM
Quote from: Maladict on October 10, 2009, 08:39:35 AM
Xerxes togatus?

Knew this one too - but then, I always liked Lucullus.  "Tonight, PDH dines with PDH"

:D

I knew that one too...hadn't come across the Xerxes one though before this question.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Maladict

Threviel

Maladict

Quote from: Threviel on October 11, 2009, 05:35:17 AM
Build a ship at the Arsenal?

Yes, they built a ship in the time it took the king to finish his meal.

Drakken

So, is the floor open or not? I refuse to let this thread die off.  :mad:

Agelastus

Open, by the looks of it.

On the eve of the battle of Cannae, one of Hannibal's junior officers expressed amazement at the size of the Roman Army facing the Carthaginians. How did Hannibal reply, according to legend?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

The Brain

Quote from: Agelastus on October 13, 2009, 11:37:42 AM

On the eve of the battle of Cannae, one of Hannibal's junior officers expressed amazement at the size of the Roman Army facing the Carthaginians. How did Hannibal reply, according to legend?

"They look tiny because they are far away, dumbass."
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Quote from: Agelastus on October 13, 2009, 11:37:42 AM

I was asking because I had a question to ask.  :mad:

Viking

We shall use their numbers against them?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.