News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Does it have to do with tentacle rape?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2009, 01:44:40 PM
Does it have to do with tentacle rape?
I don't believe there was any tentacle raping, no.

Habbaku

He had three bowls of rice on Thursdays.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 01:33:30 PM
What notable thing did the Japanese commoner Yamamoto Otokichi do in 1834?

The Emperor.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Hint: He did not do this WITHIN Japan, despite being Japanese.

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 01:33:30 PM
What notable thing did the Japanese commoner Yamamoto Otokichi do in 1834?

He made an appeal to the pope?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 02:45:07 PM

Committed seppuku?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Lucidor

Designed a dreadnought?

Habbaku

Hint to Caliga : don't ask a stupidly obscure question without providing even an inkling of who the person is within your post.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Alatriste

Quote from: Lucidor on October 08, 2009, 03:19:56 PM
Designed a dreadnought?

In 1834? Yeah, that would have been worthy of note...

Uhmmm... if our friend Otokichi-kun was out of Japan while the country was still officially closed, then he had to be a sailor lost at sea and rescued by a western ship... Did he write a book on Japan? The first japanese-english dictionary, perhaps?

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on October 08, 2009, 03:29:39 PM
Hint to Caliga : don't ask a stupidly obscure question without providing even an inkling of who the person is within your post.

When someone asks vague questions like this answers like "eat three bowls of rice" should be valid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Admiral Yi