History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

PDH

Kepler thought the distance of the planets from the sun corresponded to ratios of the basic platonic shapes in 3-d, spheres. He thought this revealed gods geometric plan for the universe - of course there were only 6 known planets and that meshed with the 6 shapes...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Viking

Quote from: PDH on October 06, 2009, 08:46:22 AM
Kepler thought the distance of the planets from the sun corresponded to ratios of the basic platonic shapes in 3-d, spheres. He thought this revealed gods geometric plan for the universe - of course there were only 6 known planets and that meshed with the 6 shapes...

Uranus pretty much fucked up that plan.. but then again Kepler kept going for the perfect solids relationship to the heavenly bodies in their perfect spheres even after he formulated his laws of planetary motion which fixed the orbits as elliptical.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

PDH

Quote from: Viking on October 06, 2009, 08:50:08 AM
Uranus pretty much fucked up that plan..
If I had a dollar for each time I heard that...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: PDH on October 06, 2009, 08:46:22 AM
Oh, right. :face:  It's this or something close to it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Platonic shapes? Sounds boring as fuck.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

PDH

no ideas, I am teaching freshmen...first with a reasonable question has the floor.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on October 06, 2009, 04:21:44 PM
first with a reasonable question has the floor.

There goes the thread.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Alexandru H.

I have an easy one.

Put down the names of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World, ordering them by the dates of their destruction/dissapearance (I'm talking about total destruction, btw...). Bonus points if you know who managed to finish them.

Viking

Quote from: Alexandru H. on October 07, 2009, 02:03:06 AM
I have an easy one.

Put down the names of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World, ordering them by the dates of their destruction/dissapearance (I'm talking about total destruction, btw...). Bonus points if you know who managed to finish them.

Hanging Gardens of Babylon - Left to decline during early classical
Mausoleum at Halicarnassus - Left to decline during mid classical
Temple of Artemis at Ephesus - Destroyed by christians during late classical
Statue of Zeus of Olympus - Destroyed by christians during late classical
Collossuss of Rhodes - Earthquake during late classical
Pharos of Alexandria - Earthquake during late middle ages
Great Pyriamids - Still there

Alexandru H.

Technically the temple that had been proclaimed as a wonder of the world was burned down by Goths in the 3rd century (not to mention that this one wasn't the original). What Ephesus rebuilt was a poor replica, which cannot be considered a wonder of the world.

And I seem to remember that parts of the Colossus and the Mausoleum held on until the early or middle ages.

Your floor.

Viking

Quote from: Viking on October 07, 2009, 04:48:44 AM
Quote from: Alexandru H. on October 07, 2009, 02:03:06 AM
I have an easy one.

Hanging Gardens of Babylon - Left to decline during early classical
Mausoleum at Halicarnassus - Left to decline during mid classical
Temple of Artemis at Ephesus - Destroyed by christians during late classical
Statue of Zeus of Olympus - Destroyed by christians during late classical
Collossuss of Rhodes - Earthquake during late classical
Pharos of Alexandria - Earthquake during late middle ages
Great Pyriamids - Still there

I checked I was wrong about order and about half the causes

but since I have the floor.

Next to what lake was the first Golden Retriever bred?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.