News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandru H.

Quote from: The Brain on September 13, 2009, 04:00:05 PM
Is that the Russian guy who shot 30,000 people with a handgun? I may have dreamt it and anyway I don't have a name.

Bingo. Vasili Mikhailovich Blokhin.

The Brain

Great.

Which was the biggest Old West shootout between bandits and upstanding citizens (no military actions or Indians or Mexicans) counted by the number of people killed?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Viking on September 13, 2009, 06:14:00 PM
Quote from: Alexandru H. on September 13, 2009, 03:13:34 PM
Question: Who was the most prolific executioner in history?

Vlad Dracul?

I've got a thousand stories as interesting as the "Dracula" story. His son, Mihnea, is not well-known, even though he was as ruthless as his father: "As soon as Mihnea began to rule he at once abandoned his sheep's clothing and plugged up his ears like an asp.... He took all the greater boyars captive, worked them hard, cruelly confiscated their property, and even slept with their wives in their presence. He cut off the noses and lips of some, others he hanged, and still others drowned.". He was murdered by assasins, who were strangled while they tried to escape by his son, the grandson of Dracula.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Razgovory on September 13, 2009, 06:51:49 PM
I didn't even know asps had ears.

That's the point. He loses his ears (metaphorically) in order to be free to do whatever he wants, without being able to hear the cries for mercy.

Razgovory

Quote from: Alexandru H. on September 13, 2009, 07:02:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 13, 2009, 06:51:49 PM
I didn't even know asps had ears.

That's the point. He loses his ears (metaphorically) in order to be free to do whatever he wants, without being able to hear the cries for mercy.

Hopefully he picked up the heat sense in the bargain.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

Quote from: The Brain on September 13, 2009, 04:34:20 PM
Great.

Which was the biggest Old West shootout between bandits and upstanding citizens (no military actions or Indians or Mexicans) counted by the number of people killed?

Hmmm... Tom Horn, perhaps?

The Brain

The Brain

Quote from: Alatriste on September 14, 2009, 12:08:16 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 13, 2009, 04:34:20 PM
Great.

Hmmm... Tom Horn, perhaps?

A specific shootout?

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Reno shot a kid in Waco just to watch it die.

HINT: the shootout involved a very famous outlaw gang which was almost wiped out in it.