News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandru H.

The answer is Petru Movila (Moghila), Metropolitan of Kyiv, Halych and All-Rus' from 1633 until 1646. He was probably the last great Ukrainian figure that expected to see Ukraine as the third realm within the Commonwealth. Wikipedia is, unfortunately, very uninformative about the subject.

His father was Hospodar of Moldavia and Wallachia, his uncle and two cousins were Hospodars of Moldavia, while another cousin was the wife of a polish king. He is considered  the father of Modern Orthodoxy and is considered the man that saved Ukraine from catholicism. As a trivia notion, his "Orthodox Creed" is the third most important profession of faith in Orthodoxy after the Nicene Creed and the "Dogmatik" of St. Ioan Damaskinos.

-----------

Viking, that's Stephen III the Great. Usually placed very high on the "greatest generals list"...

Viking

Quote from: Alexandru H. on September 13, 2009, 10:11:01 AM

Viking, that's Stephen III the Great. Usually placed very high on the "greatest generals list"...

Was he better than Jon Scarecrow (of Icelandic Civil War fame)?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

Sorry. Had friends over all day yesterday.

Name the last Tsar of Bulgaria.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Alexandru H.

Quote from: merithyn on September 13, 2009, 10:28:01 AM
Sorry. Had friends over all day yesterday.

Name the last Tsar of Bulgaria.

Too easy. Simeon II, also prime-minister of Bulgaria 5 years ago.

Alexandru H.

Question: Who was the most prolific executioner in history?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Do you mean the person doing the actual killing or the one who ordered it done?

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2009, 03:29:20 PM
Do you mean the person doing the actual killing or the one who ordered it done?

Actual killing.

Edit: don't place here people that threw nuclear bombs or closed people in gas chambers.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zoupa

Alexandru H.

Nope.

Clue: he killed most of his victimes with a german gun.

Zoupa

I thought you meant state-appointed executionner, as in the dude who delivers the sentences (death) from tribunals.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Zoupa on September 13, 2009, 03:45:40 PM
I thought you meant state-appointed executionner, as in the dude who delivers the sentences (death) from tribunals.

He was a state-appointed executioner in all but name (since modern times have destroyed the good reputation of the word "executioner").

Maximus

That's a rather ironic usage of the word prolific.

or is it...

The Brain

Is that the Russian guy who shot 30,000 people with a handgun? I may have dreamt it and anyway I don't have a name.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.