Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Viking on December 31, 2012, 06:12:54 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 31, 2012, 05:56:49 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 31, 2012, 02:43:47 PM
You're getting closer, I'll give the floor to the one who can say why the royalists sat on the right rather than on the left; which they did for a specific reason.

Is it supporting the sword wielding hand ?

That is sooo close I'm gonna give it.

The Royalists sat on the right of the king because that was the position of honor. This is where we get the phrase "right hand man" as well. To the best of my knowledge this is due to one of two reasons, either it has to do with the left hand being used for wiping ones arse or it has to do with hoplite warfare.

Does anyone actually use their non-dominant hand to wipe their ass?  Isn't that asking for trouble?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2013, 08:34:39 PM
Does anyone actually use their non-dominant hand to wipe their ass?  Isn't that asking for trouble?

One would think so.  Would hate to wipe twice because of the smear.

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on January 21, 2013, 08:34:39 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 31, 2012, 06:12:54 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 31, 2012, 05:56:49 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 31, 2012, 02:43:47 PM
You're getting closer, I'll give the floor to the one who can say why the royalists sat on the right rather than on the left; which they did for a specific reason.

Is it supporting the sword wielding hand ?

That is sooo close I'm gonna give it.

The Royalists sat on the right of the king because that was the position of honor. This is where we get the phrase "right hand man" as well. To the best of my knowledge this is due to one of two reasons, either it has to do with the left hand being used for wiping ones arse or it has to do with hoplite warfare.

:blink:

I thought it was 'human nature' or at least a common cultural habit, to Not use your dominant hand for dirty jobs ? 

Or are you very handed and notable diminished motor/hand to eye co-ordination with your non-dominant hand. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I make a habit of washing my hands afterwords.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on January 21, 2013, 09:13:00 PM

I thought it was 'human nature' or at least a common cultural habit, to Not use your dominant hand for dirty jobs ?

Says the guy that pisses and shits on trees.

It's not a dirty job if you learned how to use TP properly, and wash your hands.

QuoteOr are you very handed and notable diminished motor/hand to eye co-ordination with your non-dominant hand.

Personally, I lose my balance and fall over if I try to do anything right-handed.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 21, 2013, 09:53:28 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 21, 2013, 09:13:00 PM

Says the guy that pisses and shits on trees.

It's not a dirty job if you learned how to use TP properly, and wash your hands.

QuoteOr are you very handed and notable diminished motor/hand to eye co-ordination with your non-dominant hand.

Personally, I lose my balance and fall over if I try to do anything right-handed.

:D

Oh you're a leftie as well. 

Personally I've always tried to use my right for as much stuff as possible, so I can use most tools either hand, sawing wood doesn't seem a problem and for some stuff like ratchet drives I'm more comfortable with the right.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PRC

Quote from: PDH on January 21, 2013, 08:31:36 PM
Anyone else can have the question.

Since it happened on yesterday's date in history, the Battle of Cape St. Vincent featured what famous bridge?

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

Just learned one (on the can):

Against whom were the Maccabbees revolting?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

The Selucids. Who were a Macedodian successor-state to the empire of Alexander.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2013, 10:07:49 AM

I'm sorry.  The answer I was looking for was Seleucids:(

I thought it was an interesting question because I've heard the Maccabbees mentioned a lot but not once was their enemy mentioned.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2013, 10:11:45 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2013, 10:07:49 AM

I'm sorry.  The answer I was looking for was Seleucids:(

I thought it was an interesting question because I've heard the Maccabbees mentioned a lot but not once was their enemy mentioned.

You seriously expect me to get the correct spelling without looking it up?  :P

But yeah, the enemies of the Macabees aren't usually named.

How about another Maccabee-themed question: the guy they were fighting against assumed the name "Antiochus" when he assumed the throne. He then took another name as an epithet, which was guaranteed to annoy the Jews. What dd that epithet name mean?

For bonus marks: the Romans did something to him that is sometimes considered the origin of the phrase "to draw a line in the sand". What, exactly?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi