And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: mongers on December 31, 2012, 05:56:49 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 31, 2012, 02:43:47 PM
You're getting closer, I'll give the floor to the one who can say why the royalists sat on the right rather than on the left; which they did for a specific reason.

Is it supporting the sword wielding hand ?

That is sooo close I'm gonna give it.

The Royalists sat on the right of the king because that was the position of honor. This is where we get the phrase "right hand man" as well. To the best of my knowledge this is due to one of two reasons, either it has to do with the left hand being used for wiping ones arse or it has to do with hoplite warfare.

With the hoplon/aspis not being held, but rather bound to the wielder's arm the shield only covered half the body, the other half being covered by the man to your right. This meant that hoplite formations tended to drift left AND the man on the far right didn't have anybody to on his right covering half his body. So the place on the far right at the front became the place for your best warriors and subsequently the place of greatest prestige since you were not only facing more enemies (since the formation was drifting left) but you were also only half covered by a shield.

Despite using a center grip scutum which covered all the bearer the romans still put officers on the right as well as iirc the first cohort. This is then taken up by the barbarians and thus becomes feudal tradition in the middle ages despite the position on the far right not having any real significance anymore.

So royal toadies always seek to sit as close to the king as possible on the right.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

chipwich

Wackjob Jacobins were seated on the Left side of the room, conservative dudes on the Right.

Drakken

Trivia question :

Who is the oldest President of the United States to have living grandchildren, as of today?

sbr

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Wow, the answer will blow your mind! :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Drakken on January 18, 2013, 08:21:19 AM
Trivia question :

Who is the oldest President of the United States to have living grandchildren, as of today?

I'm thinking Roosevelt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Saw this on the news a few months back - isn't it someone like Tyler?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

I have no real idea but I'm going with honest Abe. Just because it would be dammned impressive.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: PDH on January 18, 2013, 09:31:55 AM
Saw this on the news a few months back - isn't it someone like Tyler?

I think it was something like this too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 18, 2013, 09:07:58 AM
Wow, the answer will blow your mind! :o

It's a little humbling in a way, to think of only three generations of a family seeing all they have.

Yes, I had to google it too.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Maladict

Quote from: Agelastus on January 18, 2013, 10:18:35 AM
It's a little humbling in a way, to think of only three generations of a family seeing all they have.

Yeah. "When my granddad was born George Washington was president and Louis XVI was still King of France".  :wacko:

Drakken

Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2013, 10:07:15 AM
I have no real idea but I'm going with honest Abe. Just because it would be dammned impressive.  :D

Abe has had no more living descendant for a long while. Lincoln and Buchanan are the only two Presidents to have no living descendant.

PDH got it. It was indeed John Tyler, 10th President of the United States, and he died in 1862.

PDH

Anyone else can have the question.

By the way, my grandfather was born in 1897 - and I thought that was rather old.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM