News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on March 04, 2013, 11:48:01 AM
How about another Maccabee-themed question: the guy they were fighting against assumed the name "Antiochus" when he assumed the throne. He then took another name as an epithet, which was guaranteed to annoy the Jews. What dd that epithet name mean?
Messiah?

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on March 04, 2013, 01:30:30 PM
How about another Maccabee-themed question: the guy they were fighting against assumed the name "Antiochus" when he assumed the throne. He then took another name as an epithet, which was guaranteed to annoy the Jews. What dd that epithet name mean?
Messiah?

Nope ... a bit less close than the last guess.  ;)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Caliga

Valmy

For bonus marks: the Romans did something to him that is sometimes considered the origin of the phrase "to draw a line in the sand". What, exactly?

I know this one!  Epiphanes.  Antiochus Epiphanes.  I think that means enlightened one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I assume it had something to do with the Greek/Roman pantheon, as the original cause of the Maccabbee revolt was Antiochus' decision to build a temple to Zeus in Jerusalem.

"Zeus-lover?"

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2013, 01:52:24 PM

For bonus marks: the Romans did something to him that is sometimes considered the origin of the phrase "to draw a line in the sand". What, exactly?

I know this one!  Epiphanes.  Antiochus Epiphanes.  I think that means enlightened one.

You got it.

Though it means "god manifest" - i.e., meaning something like "Antiochus, God on Earth". 

Sort of similar to the Christian notion of the messiah (though not at all like the Jewish notion). Such a title was, of course, deeply offensive to believing Jews.

Allegedly, his "often eccentric behavior and capricious actions led some of his contemporaries to call him Epimanes ("The Mad One"), a word play on his title Epiphanes".

Agelastus

Stopped his (successful) invasion of Ptolemaic Egypt by, at a parley, drawing a circle in the sand around him and stating if he crossed it without agreeing to take his army home he would have to face the might of Rome etc. etc.

On one side - Antiochus, his officers and his army. Tens of thousands of men.

On the other side, a Roman Official with his lictors and aides. Probably a dozen or so men if the tale is to be believed in its' entirety.

Something like that, anyway. :)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Malthus

Quote from: Agelastus on March 04, 2013, 04:55:29 PM

Stopped his (successful) invasion of Ptolemaic Egypt by, at a parley, drawing a circle in the sand around him and stating if he crossed it without agreeing to take his army home he would have to face the might of Rome etc. etc.

On one side - Antiochus, his officers and his army. Tens of thousands of men.

On the other side, a Roman Official with his lictors and aides. Probably a dozen or so men if the tale is to be believed in its' entirety.

Something like that, anyway. :)

Close - Antiochus was told not to invade Egypt by Roman dude, Antiochus said he'd have to to take that under advisement etc. clearly stalling for time, Roman dude draws a circle around Antiochus in the sand and says something like "I'll have your answer before you leave this circle or it's war", Antiochus backs down.

But you get the bonus marks ...  :D

Edit: Roman dude was this fellow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Popillius_Laenas

Sheilbh

As thread's dying I thought I'd ask a question. Which Muslim jurisprudent and theologian retold the story of Jesus saving Mary Magdalene, with the words 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone', only to add that John the Baptist then ran out of the crowd and pummelled her?
Let's bomb Russia!