Chile elects constitutional convention

Started by Sheilbh, May 18, 2021, 04:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2021, 01:20:02 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2021, 01:08:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2021, 12:52:50 PM
Well if they keep running in elections maybe not :hmm:

I don't think that means much.  Spanish communists participated in elections before the civil war.

They have also participated in elections after Franco died :hmm:

But I mean back in the 1930s they were explicitly funded and controlled by Stalin. I am just if the Communists are operating constitutionally and under a democratic mandate than I guess they are alright. It does seem kind of out of step with what they are supposed to be doing but hey any political party can be Communist just by saying "We Are Communists." It might not mean they are actually practicing Marxism, political branding is weird and nonsensical especially in different countries.

That's Eurocommunism for ya (one of my favorite political monikers, I guess oldskool communism wasn't European).

Threviel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2021, 11:30:54 AM
Quote from: Threviel on May 18, 2021, 05:15:17 AM
There are a few good examples of the hard left ruling sensibly, primarily Greece but IIRC also some Indian states. Probably a few more that I'm missing. Odds are good for Chile, this will be a success and if it isn't a success it's certainly because of CIA.

:wacko:

Voj, these modern times. I was thinking that it was an obvious damning with faint praise followed by an ironic :rolleyes: at the conspiracy nuts...

I should tone down my irony perhaps...

For a real analysis I would say that Chile could be in for a rough ride, but it is AFAICT only communist plurality, could mean absolutely nothing in the end.

Valmy

Your sense of humor is remarkably dry :lol:

Yeah I think many countries have had Communist Parties in their governing coalitions. I think currently the Spanish Communist Party is part of a coalition which is part of a coalition which is currently the governing coalition.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on May 18, 2021, 01:33:42 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2021, 11:30:54 AM
There are a few good examples of the hard left ruling sensibly, primarily Greece but IIRC also some Indian states. Probably a few more that I'm missing. Odds are good for Chile, this will be a success and if it isn't a success it's certainly because of CIA.

:wacko:

Voj, these modern times. I was thinking that it was an obvious damning with faint praise followed by an ironic :rolleyes: at the conspiracy nuts...

I should tone down my irony perhaps...

For a real analysis I would say that Chile could be in for a rough ride, but it is AFAICT only communist plurality, could mean absolutely nothing in the end.

It was obvious. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

It wasn't 100% obvious to me, but it was at least 99.9% obvious.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on May 18, 2021, 01:42:45 PM
It wasn't 100% obvious to me, but it was at least 99.9% obvious.

That 0.1% of ambiguity confuses and scares me though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2021, 01:37:04 PM
Your sense of humor is remarkably dry :lol:

Yeah I think many countries have had Communist Parties in their governing coalitions. I think currently the Spanish Communist Party is part of a coalition which is part of a coalition which is currently the governing coalition.

And one of the communist ministers in the cabinet is one of the most competent of the lot. OTOH, the other one is probably the most incompetent.  :P

Admiral Yi

IIRC the Sandanistas also held (and lost) a free and fair election after they came to power.  But recently Ortega has taken an authoritarian turn.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2021, 11:36:02 AM
if it isn't a success it's certainly because of CIA.

Man so the success of every extreme left government is 100% so long as the CIA doesn't get involved. Good to know.

I'm assuming that Threviel was attempting to be sarcastic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

fromtia

Now that I've been given the chance to peer at distant Chile ( a country about which I know little) through the lens of North American Economic Libertarianism I must hope that some organizing principle can be found to avert this disaster! A young army Captain of some kind, with a penchant for mixing aviation with, er... education perhaps? That necessary rescue must somehow be willed into being to prevent these ill informed dullards from meddling in their own country.

I listened to a Sam Harris episode that had me laughing out loud, not what Harris intended I don't think. It was sort of all about how it was absolutely necessary and urgent to intervene in Chilean affairs after Allende won election and that no right thinking person could possibly have imagined or foreseen that the chosen champion of teh freedoms could have been a tiny, tiny bit off key in his methods later on. Magical.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Sheilbh

And the constitutional convention is open!

They've elected Elisa Loncon - a linguist and indigenous rights activist who is part of the independent Mapuche delegation - as President, largely, though not solely, with the support of the left.

Interesting to watch for the next 9-12 months.
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

The only thing I know is that Chile and Hong Kong had riots roughly the same time in 2019.  Whereas Hong Kong largely held firm and refused to give in to the rioters, Chile did not.  It is sad but it is somebody else's country, so. 

grumbler

Anyone who is surprised that the thugs running China would rather massacre their own people than give up any of their power is delusional.  Chile's thugs lost power a long time ago, so slaughtering their populace, PRiCk-style, was not even a possibility.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

I would be interested in a comparative study of say Hong Kong and Chile to find out why it turned out differently.  Would be...useful.