News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chile elects constitutional convention

Started by Sheilbh, May 18, 2021, 04:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote'A new Chile': political elite rejected in vote for constitutional assembly
Victories for leftist and independent candidates over rightwingers paves the way for a long-awaited progressive settlement

Supporters of leftwing parties celebrate in Santiago after their victories in Chile's constitutional assembly elections. Photograph: Marcelo Hernández/Getty Images
John Bartlett in Santiago
Tue 18 May 2021 09.00 BST

Chile's established political elite has been roundly rejected at the polls six months ahead of a pivotal presidential election, as the country turned to a progressive new generation to write the next chapter in its history.

Resounding victories for leftist and independent candidates saw rightwing politicians crash to a dismal electoral defeats alongside those with links to Chile's transition to democracy.

Across two days of voting, Chileans cast votes for the 155 delegates who will write a new constitution to replace Augusto Pinochet's 1980 document and the neoliberal model it enshrined.

People also voted for regional governors for the first time ever, as well as for councillors and mayors – with candidates backed by president Sebastián Piñera's Chile Vamos coalition faring poorly in each case.

Crucially, with the government coalition's list securing only 37 seats in the assembly, Chile's traditional right-wing fell well short of the one-third bloc it had targeted to obstruct the inclusion of progressive articles the constitution.

Communist party members in Santiago celebrate their victories in the constitutional assembly elections. Photograph: Felipe Figueroa/SOPA Images/REX/Shutterstock

Each bill must be approved by two-thirds of the assembly to be included in the document.

"Many people are saying that yesterday was the day that the transition to democracy finally reached its conclusion," said Verónica Figueroa Huencho, an academic at the University of Chile's school of public affairs.

"The participation of indigenous peoples and independent candidates in a gender-equal constitutional assembly is a launchpad for a new Chile."

The 155-member assembly will include 47 independent candidates and 17 representing the country's 10 indigenous groups, whose participation was guaranteed for the first time in Chile.

Gender parity had been assured before the vote took place – for the first time ever in a national constitutional project – yet female candidates performed so well that the eventual adjustment ended up favouring men.

In late 2019, a mass protest movement exploded in Chile, targeting the country's insulated and disconnected political elite as well inequalities engendered by the dictatorship's economic model. From the mass of demands that arose from the demonstrations, a constitutional referendum was scheduled as political parties' response to the crisis.

On 25 October 2020, Chileans headed to the polls for the plebiscite and an emphatic 78% of voters opted to draft a new constitution.

As people gathered in Plaza Italia in Santiago that night, dubbed Plaza Dignidad as it became the epicentre of the protest movement, the word "Reborn" was projected triumphantly onto a nearby building – but the rejuvenation of the political landscape was only finalised when Chileans came to vote this weekend.

Candidates who stoked the sentiments of the protests performed strongly, as did those without the baggage of political affiliation.

"This weekend we have seen the categorical rejection of the constitution and the political culture it fomented," said Fernando Atria, a law professor who has campaigned in favour of writing a new constitution and was elected to the assembly over the weekend.

"The current constitution was designed to prevent transformation and progress, but our role now is to create a new political system that is capable of responding to the demands of the people."

Candidates backed by the government also did poorly in local elections, losing important mayorships and failing to force their way into gubernatorial run-offs.

In an address from the presidential palace last night, Piñera recognised that Chile's "traditional political forces" were "not in tune with people's demands".

"This is the triumph of social and political unity," declared Santiago's mayor-elect, Irací Hassler, in the city's Plaza de Armas, flanked by several of the women who won their elections.

"This is the beginning of a significant change in the way we do politics. The protest movement, feminist strikes and socio-environmental movements are here to stay."

Communist party candidate Irací Hassler celebrates her election as mayor of Santiago. Photograph: Felipe Figueroa/SOPA Images/REX/Shutterstock

Hassler usurped incumbent Felipe Alessandri, who was running for a second term backed by Piñera's coalition, to claim the district in the heart of the capital for Chile's Communist party.

A period of solemn introspection has begun for the country's traditional political parties, including debate over potential presidential candidates.

However, the Frente Amplio, Chile's main opposition coalition which had only recently fragmented and seen doubt cast over its future, managed to perform strongly.

Its presidential candidate, Gabriel Boric, a veteran of Chile's 2011 education protests, profited from the rush of optimism that accompanied the vote to collect the signatures required to register his candidacy on Monday.

Chileans will vote in presidential and congressional elections in November this year.

Meanwhile, the constitutional assembly will have a maximum of 12 months to draft a new constitution, which will be ratified at the conclusion of the process by a plebiscite in which voting will be compulsory.

Until the vote takes place, the 1980 constitution will remain in force.

I need to know more about Chilean politics as from what I understand one of the main leaders of the movement to draft a new constitution was Pam Jiles who did the Naruto run in Chilean parliament to celebrate when it was approved :lol:  She was leading the polls for President but has now pulled out after her husband did badly as did the rest of the Humanist Party.

Also one of the women elected to the constitutional convention is Tia Pikachu - who's famous for turning up to the social protests over the last few years in a Pikachu costume :lol:

But they are really striking results - the centre right came first, but they're the only right/centre-right list that won any seats and they got the lowest number of votes in any election. Then the left-far left coalition and the anti-establishment-left coalitions in second and third place, with the more traditional centre-left coalition in fourth place. It's extraordinary and very interesting.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Let's focus. Will transwomen get seats as women?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2021, 04:25:57 AMI need to know more about Chilean politics as from what I understand one of the main leaders of the movement to draft a new constitution was Pam Jiles who did the Naruto run in Chilean parliament to celebrate when it was approved :lol:  She was leading the polls for President but has now pulled out after her husband did badly as did the rest of the Humanist Party.

Also one of the women elected to the constitutional convention is Tia Pikachu - who's famous for turning up to the social protests over the last few years in a Pikachu costume :lol:

But they are really striking results - the centre right came first, but they're the only right/centre-right list that won any seats and they got the lowest number of votes in any election. Then the left-far left coalition and the anti-establishment-left coalitions in second and third place, with the more traditional centre-left coalition in fourth place. It's extraordinary and very interesting.

Chilean popular movements of the last decade or so have always been pretty colourful, for what I know. One of their symbols is a black dog wearing a red bandana called "Negro Matapacos" (literally "Blackie the Cop Killer" in Chilean slang), after a real dog that used to be present in every single student protest of the early 2010s. It has a wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro_Matapacos) and everything, and there's tons of iconography.  :P

DGuller

Good.  Hopefully having far left in power in a South American country will mean prosperity for all.

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on May 18, 2021, 05:01:21 AM
Good.  Hopefully having far left in power in a South American country will mean prosperity for all.

As long as the CIA stays quiet, results in Chile might be much better this time.

Threviel

There are a few good examples of the hard left ruling sensibly, primarily Greece but IIRC also some Indian states. Probably a few more that I'm missing. Odds are good for Chile, this will be a success and if it isn't a success it's certainly because of CIA.

Josquius

Sounds like they're just trolling the Conservatives with this wacky millennial stuff. :lol:

Fingers crossed the cia does keep their nose out. Chile is very well placed to finally break out of the middle income trap.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2021, 05:04:37 AM
As long as the CIA stays quiet, results in Chile might be much better this time.
Yeah - also I feel like this is kind of inevitable if you entrench constitutionally policies rather than broad political principles and how the state operates, which is Pinochet did. The shape of the Chilean state, from my understanding, is still largely dictated by that constitution.

Also the far-left run lots of Chilean cities and regions - as is pretty common in Latin America. But they're not going to be running the country - they're writing the constitution for approval in a referendum. But the general elections are later this year - I think the Communist Presidential candidate of the broad left is leading but I also think the polls are all over the place.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2021, 05:51:18 AMAlso the far-left run lots of Chilean cities and regions - as is pretty common in Latin America.

In fact Santiago de Chile just elected a communist mayor, for instance.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Threviel on May 18, 2021, 05:15:17 AM
There are a few good examples of the hard left ruling sensibly, primarily Greece but IIRC also some Indian states. Probably a few more that I'm missing. Odds are good for Chile, this will be a success and if it isn't a success it's certainly because of CIA.

:wacko:

Valmy

I mean the CIA just had to say it was cool with it for the opposition to do the coup on its own. Hopefully the situation is more stable this time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Threviel on May 18, 2021, 05:15:17 AM
if it isn't a success it's certainly because of CIA.

Man so the success of every extreme left government is 100% so long as the CIA doesn't get involved. Good to know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2021, 11:34:12 AM

I mean the CIA just had to say it was cool with it for the opposition to do the coup on its own. Hopefully the situation is more stable this time.

So the destabilization of Allende's government doesn't count?  :P

fromtia

Certainly very interesting, I've long harbored a desire to visit Valparaiso, so ordinary people organizing themselves to establish a society a bit more to their own liking makes it a more attractive trip. I wonder how things will progress. We love democracy* here in the United States, but only when it produces outcomes the very rich approve of.

* Less so these days. proto fascism is having a moment here.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2021, 11:43:10 AM
So the destabilization of Allende's government doesn't count?  :P

It might. I have only really looked closely at the coup itself at this point, just because I was curious how the CIA actually does a coup.