Main Menu

Chile elects constitutional convention

Started by Sheilbh, May 18, 2021, 04:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2021, 11:44:41 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2021, 11:43:10 AM
So the destabilization of Allende's government doesn't count?  :P

It might. I have only really looked closely at the coup itself at this point, just because I was curious how the CIA actually does a coup.
Story of a Death Foretold by Oscar Guardiola-Rivera is well worth a read :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2021, 05:54:14 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2021, 05:51:18 AMAlso the far-left run lots of Chilean cities and regions - as is pretty common in Latin America.

In fact Santiago de Chile just elected a communist mayor, for instance.

that's pretty bad, electing people who follow an ideology that has killed so many and is so anti-democratic...

The Larch

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 18, 2021, 12:07:01 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2021, 05:54:14 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2021, 05:51:18 AMAlso the far-left run lots of Chilean cities and regions - as is pretty common in Latin America.

In fact Santiago de Chile just elected a communist mayor, for instance.

that's pretty bad, electing people who follow an ideology that has killed so many and is so anti-democratic...

That line doesn't work in Chile, mate.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2021, 12:09:21 PM

Chileans have access to the same history books as the rest of us.

Communist mayors are safe because the office doesn't give control of the judiciary or the electoral system.

Josquius

The problem with the Eastern block wasn't that they were communist. It's that they were authoritarian dictatorships. That's a pretty bad thing no matter your economic stance.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2021, 12:20:12 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2021, 12:09:21 PM

Chileans have access to the same history books as the rest of us.

Communist mayors are safe because the office doesn't give control of the judiciary or the electoral system.

Yeah the most fatal problem we have had with Communists isn't that collective ownership means tens of millions are automatically killed but their centrally planned dictatorially controlled economies and bureaucracies make stupid uninformed decisions and are insulated from anybody who knows better telling them their ideas are stupid. So you have disastrously idiotic decisions killing millions from starvation and environmental disaster. So Communism, at least as practiced, tends to kill more people trying to help them than it does seizing power or shooting perceived enemies.

If you have Communists with limited power in a constitutional system, I don't know. Maybe they might not kill millions. The Communists in France and Italy were generally not as genocidal as their power was limited, at least not in practice maybe they really wanted to kill millions.

Granted simply not killing millions isn't a super high hurdle to clear.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tyr on May 18, 2021, 12:24:04 PM
The problem with the Eastern block wasn't that they were communist. It's that they were authoritarian dictatorships. That's a pretty bad thing no matter your economic stance.

can't have the first without the second. Something the left needs to learn quickly if they want to maintain some semblance of credibility.

And Larch: that line works everywhere. That Chile had to suffer a fascist dictatorship doesn't take away from the fact that communism is a ideology on the same level as fascism.
That communism's endgoal is -supposedly- some utopia can't be used as an excuse. On the contrary: it's a warning. A warning that adherents of such an ideology are dangerous, extremely dangerous, as they believe they have to moral right to "save" humanity.

Admiral Yi

Do you think that authoritarian dictatorship is not hard wired into communism?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2021, 12:51:06 PM

Do you think that authoritarian dictatorship is not hard wired into communism?

Well if they keep running in elections maybe not :hmm:

It does kind of seem out of step with what they are supposed to be about but I don't know what they have been up to for the past 30 years or so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2021, 12:51:06 PMDo you think that authoritarian dictatorship is not hard wired into communism?
I think it's hardwired into Marxist-Leninism (although even then there are exceptions - see Nepal I think on its third elected Maoist and Marxist-Leninist coalition :lol:).

More importantly this is the constitutional convention - they've not won power (though they might). And they've also only won just under a third of the seats along with the moderate left, anti-establishment left parties and a number of independents.

But the red scare going on in here is possibly how things so quickly move to coup in Latin America :lol:

Edit: But - for example - despite the cover of Time, I don't think Enrico Berlinguer would have ended up leading an authoritarian dictatorship.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I don't think Nepal works as a counterexample because the power sharing arrangement was the result of a low level guerrilla war.  The Maoists never had total control.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2021, 12:52:50 PM

I don't think that means much.  Spanish communists participated in elections before the civil war.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2021, 01:03:57 PM
I don't think Nepal works as a counterexample because the power sharing arrangement was the result of a low level guerrilla war.  The Maoists never had total control.
Yeah in 2007 but they've had three democratic elections since.

2008 returned a Maoist led government with Marxist Leninists in coalition, 2013 returned a Congress led government with Marxist Leninists in coalition, and in 2017 they returned a Marxist Leninist led government with the Maoists in coalition. The Marxist Leninists are, presumably, the Lib Dems of Nepal :hmm:

Edit: Looking it up apparently the Marxist Leninists (Communist Party of Nepal (Unified Marxist-Leninist)) and Maoists (Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist Centre)) tried to merge into a unified Communist Party of Nepal in 2018 but it fell apart after the courts ruled the the Communist Party of Nepal was already registered so they had to dissolve again :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

:D
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2021, 01:08:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2021, 12:52:50 PM

I don't think that means much.  Spanish communists participated in elections before the civil war.

They have also participated in elections after Franco died :hmm:

But I mean back in the 1930s they were explicitly funded and controlled by Stalin. I am just if the Communists are operating constitutionally and under a democratic mandate than I guess they are alright. It does seem kind of out of step with what they are supposed to be doing but hey any political party can be Communist just by saying "We Are Communists." It might not mean they are actually practicing Marxism, political branding is weird and nonsensical especially in different countries.