News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chile elects constitutional convention

Started by Sheilbh, May 18, 2021, 04:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Monoriu on July 04, 2021, 06:03:30 PM
I would be interested in a comparative study of say Hong Kong and Chile to find out why it turned out differently.  Would be...useful.

It might have something to do with the ethos that a constitution should be something that comes from the people, not something that is imposed on the people.

(note the should there, theory and practice...)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

The legitimacy of any government rests on the consent of the governed. That's all there is to it.

Threviel

Also the difference is probably that if the rest of the Americas was a ruthless murderous dictatorship it could have imposed whatever on Chile. But unlike Hong Kong Chile has no external pack of murderous thugs deciding its fate.

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on July 04, 2021, 05:55:48 PM
The only thing I know is that Chile and Hong Kong had riots roughly the same time in 2019.  Whereas Hong Kong largely held firm and refused to give in to the rioters, Chile did not.  It is sad but it is somebody else's country, so. 

If Hong Kong actually did have trouble with rioters what would you call them? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████