And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2021, 03:02:57 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 07, 2021, 06:13:19 PM
Watched that in a pub and it was great - stressful, but great. Immediately after the penalty-rebound and then at the end of the game literally everyone up for It's Coming Home - all the guys behind the bar slamming it, people dancing on the bar and on tables. Then in my area of south London a lot of cars out with England flags on their horns - it felt very continental.

Oh yeah it was great hearing drunk people on the street screaming 'it's coming home' as a standalone phrase over and over again.

I mean, it's silly to be so elated by struggling wins against the giants of Croatia, Denmark, and spanking the football great power of Ukraine, but surely you can bear with it one night every 50 years. :P

clandestino

As much as I like our English members over here, but only the English could make me cheer for the Italians (maybe the Dutch could as well).

So... Forza Italia! :pope:

At least it seems we won't get that many English tourists this summer... it would be insufferable.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 08, 2021, 03:15:59 AM
Watched that in a pub and it was great - stressful, but great. Immediately after the penalty-rebound and then at the end of the game literally everyone up for It's Coming Home - all the guys behind the bar slamming it, people dancing on the bar and on tables. Then in my area of south London a lot of cars out with England flags on their horns - it felt very continental.

Oh yeah it was great hearing drunk people on the street screaming 'it's coming home' as a standalone phrase over and over again.

I mean, it's silly to be so elated by struggling wins against the giants of Croatia, Denmark, and spanking the football great power of Ukraine, but surely you can bear with it one night every 50 years. :P

No, I recall the English behaving similarly during the 2018 world cup. It was worse at that time for me as I lived at the intersection of two busy roads.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

:lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

When you think about it it's weird and stupid that sticks around considering the song was created for euro 96. Though I guess it is more relevant in this tournament than most since the finals are at home
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2021, 05:28:40 AM
When you think about it it's weird and stupid that sticks around considering the song was created for euro 96. Though I guess it is more relevant in this tournament than most since the finals are at home
The thing I kind of love is that my understanding is that until 2018 that became a mainly German team song. Because it was being sung by crowds in 1996 when Germany beat England and won the Euros, my understanding it sort of became associated with the German by German fans - I think Klinsmann liked it a lot too. But now the song's come home too.

QuoteNo, I recall the English behaving similarly during the 2018 world cup. It was worse at that time for me as I lived at the intersection of two busy roads.
I lived very close to Edgware Road when there were there was, I think, an Africa Cup of Nations semi-final between Egypt and Algeria - and I loved it but I think it was probably the loudest night I've ever experienced :lol:

QuoteI mean, it's silly to be so elated by struggling wins against the giants of Croatia, Denmark, and spanking the football great power of Ukraine, but surely you can bear with it one night every 50 years. :P
A few thoughts :P

I agree - this is the first final England have been in 55 years, it's the first in my lifetime. And 2018 was also the first World Cup semi-final since 1990 so again the first I could actually remember so there is an entire generation where this is new. I would love it if the English team were so successful that we could react with sang-froid. But we're not.

The other is I would question if those were struggling wins - Denmark to an extent because it went to extra time - but early on I wondered if Southgate had put together a tournament team. The defence is England's weak point so that's what they've shored and they defend, defend, defend, win a few cheap fouls and go through on a dodgy penalty - it is, in the best possible sense, a very Italian team (while Italy are playing smooth, attractive passing football). Watching all these games it's clear that England are set up to defend and sneak a goal - so are those struggling wins or what Southgate has sent his team out to do?

QuoteCroatia were WC finalists and Denmark have a good team at the moment. England has had an easier draw than others for sure but I wouldn't say its been a walkover.
Getting to the final itself is better than other managers have been able to accomplish.
Yeah - agreed. And ultimately you can only play what's in front of you. And it shows the folly of trying to play the group because I remember people talking about whether it would be better for England to come second in the group and avoid Germany/France/Portugal and probably play Sweden. But obviously that's not how it worked out as Sweden won their group so Croatia ended up facing Spain instead.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 08, 2021, 05:21:51 AM

As my revenge (?), I've taken to getting my husband's attention several times today to let him that it's coming home". ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Gups

Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2021, 05:28:40 AM

Nothing weird or stupid about it at all. It's a good song about football that people like singing (I'm bored of it personally). It's getting supplanted by Sweet Caroline now which is better I think even though it has nothing to do with football or England.

Gups

Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2021, 06:10:16 AM

Why is Kane "The Jammy"?

Having his poor penalty kick deflected straight back to him, I guess

Sheilbh

Quote from: Gups on July 08, 2021, 06:11:40 AM
Nothing weird or stupid about it at all. It's a good song about football that people like singing (I'm bored of it personally). It's getting supplanted by Sweet Caroline now which is better I think even though it has nothing to do with football or England.
Yeah Sweet Caroline is the new song and it is better - although I really enjoy the footage of it in Wembley when no-one knows the verses or what to do during them :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Growing up in Malta, you were either an England fan or an Italy fan.

Supporting the Maltese national team was a bit of a waste of time, so everyone either sided with our colonial oppressors, England; or our neighbours Italy.
In grade school you made friends based on this criteria alone.

First thing you would ask a new kid in school. "Italy or England?"
His answer went a long way towards how close a friend he would be for the rest of your life.

In my own family, my older  brother Adrian is an Italy fan, as is my dad. Me and my younger brother are England fans.

Sunday will be fun.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

I was on a work call today with a bunch of Welshmen. You can imagine.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on July 08, 2021, 06:56:23 AM
I was on a work call today with a bunch of Welshmen. You can imagine.  :lol:

Out of interest with other nations - how much did the 12 month delay change/shape your squad? I'm imagining quite a lot for Spain given their youth and possibly for Italy too and it's had a big impact with England (Saka, Grealish, Rice, Phillips, Mount, Foden for example probably wouldn't have made the team this time last year) - but I was wondering who else in your team wouldn't have been in the tournament if it happened when it was meant to?
Let's bomb Russia!