And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2021, 04:47:07 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 07, 2021, 04:41:02 PM
My kid is quarter Italian.... So.... Whatever happens he's a winner.
Nice consolation for the ugly black passport.

:hmm:

Do passports come in multiple colors?
. British one. The new post brexit downgraded version.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on July 07, 2021, 04:41:02 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 07, 2021, 04:38:29 PM
We are all Italians now

Unfortunate but true. England played better, and deserved a win, but still the way it went down was less then ideal. Ref was the best English player of the match :P

Pro-English referee is so England '66.  :P

Grey Fox

Fuck Italy, firmly in third place on the fuck this place ladder behind Spain and number 1 Portugal.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2021, 04:59:58 PM
Fuck Italy, firmly in third place on the fuck this place ladder behind Spain and number 1 Portugal.

We're number 1! We're number 1!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

My three favourite countries on earth, although not in that order.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on July 07, 2021, 05:01:34 PM

We're number 1! We're number 1!

:yes: :yeah:

crazy canuck

I blame Jacob, he used all his super power mana in the earlier rounds.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on July 07, 2021, 05:06:12 PM

My three favourite countries on earth, although not in that order.  :P

It is an exclusively soccer related ladder.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on July 07, 2021, 04:14:18 PM
I hadn't noticed just how many subs they're allowed this tournament. Madness.

The kane penalty shout earlier was 50-50 and went Denmarks way so only fair this one goes England's way.
Yeah - that's my take. I think the Kane one was a penalty and it didn't go our way, then that one did (but wasn't a penalty). So there was a degree of karma over it in my view :lol:

Watched that in a pub and it was great - stressful, but great. Immediately after the penalty-rebound and then at the end of the game literally everyone up for It's Coming Home - all the guys behind the bar slamming it, people dancing on the bar and on tables. Then in my area of south London a lot of cars out with England flags on their horns - it felt very continental.

Excited for the final of England v Italy because this England team seem fundamentally quite Italian, which I mean as a huge compliment. Like Age, I went with my head last time and got it wrong - so maybe England have a chance :ph34r: I think the midfield will be interesting and - much as I love Chiellini and Bonucci I feel like they've not really faced much pace this tournament so I think whoever's dealing with Sterling may have a tough night. But Italy have looked great throughout the tournament so...

Edit: Also last night and tonight have really hit home how much football's missed having fans in stadiums. I absolutely love the noises that the machines didn't replicate - like huge Spanish whistles when Italy were on the ball early on last night and similarly tonight just English booing when the Danes were passing it around :lol:

And this is a lovely video of the same with all the English fans having a Sweet Caroline sing along with the team:
https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1412891460643524611?s=20

Edit: I particularly love that apparently before that Saka was trying to single-handedly start an Icelandic clap :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on July 07, 2021, 04:13:55 PM
It feels cheap to be allowed to score on the rebound.  The penalty kick itself is usually a disproportionate enough punishment, having a second shot an empty goal is too much.

Agree

Zoupa

Felt like Denmark really ran out of gas during overtime. Not sure if they were really waiting for penalties or just exhausted, probably both.

Sterling is a fucking drama queen, that was definitely not a penalty... Also Maguire or whatever his name is in defense seems like a detestable fellow.

In any case, it's not coming home sorry... I don't think England has an answer to Chiesa and Insigne.

Italy 2 England 0. Heard it here first :frog:

Josquius

I've been thinking given Southgates success and some of what people are saying about him.
I wonder if this could be a good tactic for appointment of national team managers going forward.
Concentrate on getting your u21 coach right then after a few years upgrade him.
Maybe after a few years send him back to the u21s with the new u21 coach moving up.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2021, 01:45:20 AM
I've been thinking given Southgates success and some of what people are saying about him.
I wonder if this could be a good tactic for appointment of national team managers going forward.
Concentrate on getting your u21 coach right then after a few years upgrade him.
Maybe after a few years send him back to the u21s with the new u21 coach moving up.

He has definitely done well with England, but I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that just like in the last WC, England haven't faced another serious contender yet, except perhaps Germany.

If Italy drop their guard and think they have already won then England have a chance, otherwise not really.

Josquius

Croatia were WC finalists and Denmark have a good team at the moment. England has had an easier draw than others for sure but I wouldn't say its been a walkover.
Getting to the final itself is better than other managers have been able to accomplish.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 07, 2021, 06:13:19 PM
Watched that in a pub and it was great - stressful, but great. Immediately after the penalty-rebound and then at the end of the game literally everyone up for It's Coming Home - all the guys behind the bar slamming it, people dancing on the bar and on tables. Then in my area of south London a lot of cars out with England flags on their horns - it felt very continental.

Oh yeah it was great hearing drunk people on the street screaming 'it's coming home' as a standalone phrase over and over again.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.