And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 23, 2021, 04:46:38 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 23, 2021, 04:13:15 PM
How will the protester and Goretzka go down?

The who and who?
The protester during the Hungarian national anthem who was cheered by the German crowd:

And Goretzka, who, after scoring, ran over to the Ukrainian fans making a heart gesture - especially as Goretzka has a record of being excellent on LGBT rights, confronting the far-right, racism - he is wonderful :lol:

Edit: Oh and Hungarian fans had this banner (I believe later removed) which may have been why Goretzka made the gesture to them:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

I think Tamas indicated what the official response is going to be.

Valmy

Hungary didn't advance but Orban is saying this helps his tinpot regime? How contemptible. What a loser.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

England will lose yet again to Germany in PKs. :bowler:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on June 23, 2021, 05:04:32 PM

England loves continuity and ancient traditions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2021, 05:08:50 PM
Quote from: Josephus on June 23, 2021, 05:04:32 PM

England loves continuity and ancient traditions.
As Gary Lineker famously said: "football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win." :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

I believe the English will, in fact, defeat the Germans, 1-0. Late goal by Sancho, who will sub on in the 80th minute.

:bowler:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on June 23, 2021, 04:56:19 PM
I think Tamas indicated what the official response is going to be.

In hindsight, yes. :)

Didn't see the protester on the BBC feed, but the cheering/jeering during the anthem I didn't like.

Didn't realise that's what Groetzka's heart symbol was about, good for him.

Now being out of the tournament and no danger of accusations of jeopardising team unity or any such BS, will be interesting to see if any of the Hungarian players speak up on the issue. I think it was the goalkeeper who got into a row not too long ago due to a pro-gay right statement. Before the match when asked about the whole Munich stadium thing, he just said everyone knows his stance and he wanted to focus on the match for now.

Admiral Yi

How did a black dude every make it to Hungary?

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2021, 09:18:08 PM
How did a black dude every make it to Hungary?

Duh, he can play football.  That is the ultimate decider.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tamas

All the really good teams are on one side of the knockout table. :(  That sucks. The Belgium-Italy final will be played in the Quarter Finals.

Kinda' shows that Hungary got really unlucky with that group draw, seeing the giants paired on the other end like Sweden v. Ukraine or Denmark v. Wales.

Threviel

Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2021, 03:15:59 AM
All the really good teams are on one side of the knockout table. :(  That sucks. The Belgium-Italy final will be played in the Quarter Finals.

Kinda' shows that Hungary got really unlucky with that group draw, seeing the giants paired on the other end like Sweden v. Ukraine or Denmark v. Wales.

Yes, isn't it glorious?

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2021, 03:15:59 AM

I like it.
I'm very much the anti-mono on these things and love underdogs having a long run.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I recall the Euro in Portugal where opening match and final had the same pairing and same winner (Greece winning against Portugal). Tournament felt like a waste of time in hindsight. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Is the hearth celebration an LGBT+ thing? I thought it was just a supercommon goal celebration. Loads of footballers make that when scoring.