News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on June 01, 2021, 01:14:09 PM
Ok, so you ended up with a bunch of Lefebvrists.

They were lovely people :wub:

I was really caught off guard when I visited their home, I never would have guessed they were so religious otherwise.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 01, 2021, 01:17:02 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 01, 2021, 01:13:51 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 01, 2021, 01:10:18 PM
Benzema is back too. The Exilee returns to bring victory!

:secret:

The team won a World cup without that blackmailing accomplice piece of shit.

That's a different competition.

You guys lost to Portugal.

Fucking Portugal.

:yeah:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on June 01, 2021, 01:22:38 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 01, 2021, 01:17:02 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 01, 2021, 01:13:51 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 01, 2021, 01:10:18 PM
Benzema is back too. The Exilee returns to bring victory!

:secret:

The team won a World cup without that blackmailing accomplice piece of shit.

That's a different competition.

You guys lost to Portugal.

Fucking Portugal.

Hey! Words hurt you know :cry: :P

Not that much as that Eder goal though.  :P

Zoupa

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2021, 12:05:38 PM
Oh there's a proper hard-core old school Catholic alternate reality in France.

We like to keep a few Guises in case the Calvinists decide to make a comeback.

Tamas

I have seen an online Hungarian "article" musing on how Hungarian fans will have the best time on this competition: their team is there but not only in an utterly hopeless situation, but an understandably hopeless one - in all games, any scored goal, and any less than 3 conceded will be a success.

:D

Sheilbh

Yeah I feel like given that group you just have to embrace the pain and hope for the best :lol:

Separately - I'm not normally particularly a big fan of international football or England (:x) - but I do think that team is, as I say like Chelsea, uncharacteristically likeable. I think it's also one of the youngest in the tournament and from a midfield/attacking sense I think pretty good. But I feel like Jonathan Wilson is right that international tournaments are normally won by the best/most solid defence and quite a boring/basic set-up so I imagine I'll not enjoy it very much :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

I see some fans booed the players taking a knee. They were swiftly drowned out by applause but still :bleeding:

And Gareth Southgate spoke about it:
https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1401188262937612306?s=20

The weird thing about this moment is that the fans are the worst thing about England and actually the players and the backroom staff are the best. It's different from when I was younger and, of course, the fans were awful (the band/"club England" lot etc :lol: :weep: :bleeding:) but you know John Terry was playing :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

QuoteSpain squad in isolation after Sergio Busquets tests positive for Covid

So, second major tournament in a row with pre-tournament shenanigans on Spain's part.  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on June 06, 2021, 04:02:22 PM
QuoteSpain squad in isolation after Sergio Busquets tests positive for Covid

So, second major tournament in a row with pre-tournament shenanigans on Spain's part.  :lol:

And the Selecção in 7-day isolation as contact cases.  :ultra: :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 05, 2021, 03:33:45 PM
I see some fans booed the players taking a knee. They were swiftly drowned out by applause but still :bleeding:

Why are they taking knees?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2021, 08:56:23 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 05, 2021, 03:33:45 PM

Why are they taking knees?

When the establishment got scared by the American riots last summer, collective knee-taking was made to start. IIRC a month or so ago the FA tried to find an excuse to stop doing it and failed, and now the racists started to chime in by booing the knee-taking so it can't really be stopped now.

Valmy

Oh are they doing it because they are upset about how Black Americans are being treated by our cops? Like a solidarity thing?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2021, 09:11:39 AM
Oh are they doing it because they are upset about how Black Americans are being treated by our cops? Like a solidarity thing?

Not to mention virtue-signaling.

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2021, 09:11:39 AM

I didn't catch any of it, but I would guess it's more broadly about systemic racism. Which is conveniently supplied by their own 'fans'.

Josquius

I thought this was a pretty decent article on the taking the knee thing:

https://theathletic.com/2244447/2021/06/03/taking-knee-football-racism-violence-marxism-blm/

So yeah. Started with American cops killing black people and BLM, but now it is a more general anti-racism sentiment. Show racism the red card is a long standing campaign in English football.
██████
██████
██████