And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on June 07, 2021, 09:40:10 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2021, 09:11:39 AM
Oh are they doing it because they are upset about how Black Americans are being treated by our cops? Like a solidarity thing?

I didn't catch any of it, but I would guess it's more broadly about systemic racism. Which is conveniently supplied by their own 'fans'.

True. But the situation is not exactly comparable. Most of them moved to a continent with known centuries of genocide and persecution of racial, ethnic, and religious minorities voluntarily. Most black Americans were shipped over here involuntarily and stripped of their African identity and then had to live for centuries in rather merciless systematic oppression complete with violent terrorism. Doesn't really seem analogous. I understand them protesting but just appropriating the Black American gesture as if their situations are the same...I don't know.

But I guess it certainly is having its intended impact if the racists are taking the bait.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I always wonder what kind of risk taking personality these people have to move to Europe. Hey remember Bosnia 1992? All the ethnic cleansing after WWII? The Holocaust? I want in on that action, being a visible minority on that continent sounds awesome.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2021, 09:49:10 AM
Oh are they doing it because they are upset about how Black Americans are being treated by our cops? Like a solidarity thing?

I didn't catch any of it, but I would guess it's more broadly about systemic racism. Which is conveniently supplied by their own 'fans'.

True. But the situation is not exactly comparable. Most of them moved to a continent with known centuries of genocide and persecution of racial, ethnic, and religious minorities voluntarily. Most black Americans were shipped over here involuntarily and stripped of their African identity and then had to live for centuries in rather merciless systematic oppression complete with violent terrorism. Doesn't really seem analogous. I understand them protesting but just appropriating the Black American gesture as if their situations are the same...I don't know.

But I guess it certainly is having its intended impact if the racists are taking the bait.
At a very quick check I can't find numbers but I'm pretty sure the majority of black Brits are of Carribean descent.  Certainly they're the most visible black group.
So...it is arguably comparable to the situation of black Americans given their grandparents largely moved over when their islands will still colonies and in the same time period a lot of black Americans were moving out of the south where they'd been living for generations (originally as slaves) to the north.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Spain has called up 4 extra players to train for the next few days in paralel to the national team in case there are any Covid related drop-outs from the team.

Tamas

Yes. It felt quite artificial and dishonest for me, until these booing racists highlighted that there's very much a point to it, so I should thank them for that I guess.

The Larch

Two Swedish players (Svanberg and Kulusevski) have tested positive for Covid today, and will miss the first game of the tournament.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on June 08, 2021, 11:49:35 AM
Two Swedish players (Svanberg and Kulusevski) have tested positive for Covid today, and will miss the first game of the tournament.

Time to bring back Zlatan from retirement?  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 08, 2021, 11:56:52 AM
Quote from: The Larch on June 08, 2021, 11:49:35 AM

Time to bring back Zlatan from retirement?  :hmm:

He was going to be part of the squad for the tournament but got injured.

Admiral Yi

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2021, 02:46:40 PM
Dislocated his ego?

Knee injury towards the end of the season playing for Milan.

The Larch

Our U-21 team is playing the last pre-Euro friendly instead of the first team due to Busquets' positive for Covid, and it's beating Lithuania 3-0 for the moment.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 07, 2021, 10:05:31 AM
I always wonder what kind of risk taking personality these people have to move to Europe. Hey remember Bosnia 1992? All the ethnic cleansing after WWII? The Holocaust? I want in on that action, being a visible minority on that continent sounds awesome.

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

A second Spanish player (Diego Llorente) has tested positive. A bunch of U-21 players have been added to the paralel squad that should supply any possible replacement.

Duque de Bragança

Spanish U-21 seems to play better as a team than the main squad though.  :hmm: