German Federal Election 2021 - Who will succeed Angela Merkel?

Started by Zanza, April 19, 2021, 10:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The top candidates of the seven parties in the current parliament

4 (12.1%)
17 (51.5%)
4 (12.1%)
3 (9.1%)
2 (6.1%)
2 (6.1%)
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Solmyr

Barrister

Quote from: Solmyr on July 20, 2021, 03:01:40 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2021, 06:19:03 AM
Meanwhile, Peter de Vries, candidate for the CDU in Hamburg

:unsure:

You could do worse than to have a mentat as a politician.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

So an quote from Laschet from 2009 is making the rounds in the context of his lackluster approach to climate change:

"Belief in God is shaping my understanding of the world. If you believe that there's something after death you enact different policies than for example a communist who desperately wants to create Heaven on Earth before the end of their life."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on August 04, 2021, 10:24:03 AM
So an quote from Laschet from 2009 is making the rounds in the context of his lackluster approach to climate change:

"Belief in God is shaping my understanding of the world. If you believe that there's something after death you enact different policies than for example a communist who desperately wants to create Heaven on Earth before the end of their life."

OK that's impressively stupid.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on August 04, 2021, 10:24:03 AM

"It's okay that eight-year-old girls die screaming in agony from bone cancer because, after all, they likely will go to heaven.  If they don't go to heaven, then hell is even worse than bone cancer, so they should enjoy the cancer while they can. Spend those cancer research dollars on stained glass windows for churches."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on July 20, 2021, 03:06:04 PM
You could do worse than to have a mentat as a politician.

I don't think Hamburg needs a twisted genius assassin as a leader; leave that stuff to Wurttemberg.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

The latest survey by one of the pollsters shows the Social Democrats ahead of the Greens and the Conservatives very weak.

If this was the result in mid September, a "traffic light" with the Social Democrats in the lead looks like a realistic possibility all of a sudden.

Their candidate is the guy with the dog in the poll in this thread,our current finance minister and vice chancellor.

The Conservatives have a really uninspiring candidate and the Greens had some gaffes and cannot seem to get traction despite the obvious signs of climate change around us.

Syt

To be fair, the SPD candidate looks the most competent least incompetent.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on August 15, 2021, 12:53:06 AM
If this was the result in mid September, a "traffic light" with the Social Democrats in the lead looks like a realistic possibility all of a sudden.

The liberals would ally with the Greens and SPD? I thought they were tiling right to stem the AfD tide?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2021, 10:16:11 AM
Quote from: Zanza on August 15, 2021, 12:53:06 AM

The liberals would ally with the Greens and SPD? I thought they were tiling right to stem the AfD tide?
Yes, they are. Let's see. The party leader is vocal about not wanting the "traffic light", but his general secretary was instrumental in building such a coalition on state level.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on August 15, 2021, 12:55:58 AM
Agreed, although he is aloof and a bit too friendly to the CumEx tax frauds and the Wirecard frauds. 

Syt

Just read that for the last federal election the share of mail in votes was 28% and is expected to be higher this year. Weirdly, no discussions around the safety of the elections. :hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on August 16, 2021, 12:11:07 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 15, 2021, 12:55:58 AM
Agreed, although he is aloof and a bit too friendly to the CumEx tax frauds and the Wirecard frauds.

Yes, very much the definition of "lesser evil".
—Stephen Jay Gould