News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The EU thread

Started by Tamas, April 16, 2021, 08:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2024, 01:06:36 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 26, 2024, 12:56:29 PMNot EU but a European NATO position - Mark Rutte replaces Stoltenberg as the new Secretary-General of NATO.

Good luck to him!

Not until October.

Hopefully this mighty Dutchman leads us to victory like that great Dutch military leader...um...er...well I am sure they have had some.

He's just the political leader, as you know.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 20, 2024, 12:19:25 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 20, 2024, 11:46:10 AMWhere do you see that line being drawn?

Is it "must support Europe vs Putin"? Is it "we believe we can influence or take over the European project, so if your defined by being anti-EU, you're out"? Something else?
I think she is guided by the EU's redlines - but I'm not sure. I'd always understood Marion Marechal as more radical than her aunt but she's in. Part may also be ego/dominance - the leadership of the ECR is Meloni/FDI and PiS, that would shift if you include Le Pen especially now that RN are the largest national party in the European Parliament (and also reportedly they don't like each other).

That may shift if Le Pen wins in 2027 - it seems that inevitably (if only from prestige of founder 6 members) an alliance of far-right leaders in the Netherlands, France and Italy changes things.

For who the EU can work with I think there's basically three criteria: won't blow up the Eurozone, won't get in the way of European support for Ukraine and won't try to leave/blow up the EU. I think if you don't cross those red lines then the EU will flex to include you (especially if you lead a big country - and, perhaps, especially if you're one of the founder members).

Marion Maréchal is both out of Reconquête, following her disagreement with Zemmour; and RN now, so she has a bit more of margin now.  :P

Sheilbh

Interesting Fidesz and the FPO with Ano (Czech party) setting up a third far right grouping in the European Parliament.

Arguably the basic split on the radical and far-right is anti-Russia ECR (Meloni, PiS, Baltic far-right etc), Putin-curious ID (Le Pen, Wilders etc) and out and out Russian entryists.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Orban was rejected by everyone so created his own club. But as I understand they don't have enough yet for an official faction.