News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Trivia Thread Resurrection

Started by Admiral Yi, April 06, 2021, 03:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on July 21, 2021, 02:33:51 PM
One was stationed in Italia, the other Egypt?

One was in Italia itself, yeah (the Legio II Parthica, stationed near Rome itself), and there was one in Egypt as well (the Legio II Traiana Fortis, stationed in Alexandria), but in my book Egypt is sort of a border province, so I wasn't counting it.

Caliga

Ah ok, yeah I guess Egypt is a border province.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

The Brain

The Larch

So, the breakdown was something like this (around the end of Septimius Severus' reign, 211 AD):

In Europe:
- 6 legions in the Upper Danube border (provinces of Raetia, Noricum and Pannonia).
- 6 in the Lower Danube border (Dacia and Moesia)
- 4 in the Rhine border (Upper and Lower Germania)
- 3 in Britannia.
- 1 in Italia.
- 1 in Iberia.

In Asia:
- 6 legions in Siria.
- 2 in Cappadocia.
- 2 in Mesopotamia.

In Africa:
- 1 in Egypt.
- 1 in Numidia.

For a grand total of 33 active legions.

Syt

"Our" local legions were from the early 2nd century till ca. the 5th century Legio X Gemina in Vindobona and Legio XIV Gemina in nearby Carnuntum.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on July 21, 2021, 03:23:31 PM
"Our" local legions were from the early 2nd century till ca. the 5th century Legio X Gemina in Vindobona and Legio XIV Gemina in nearby Carnuntum.

There was a 3rd legion stationed in what is today's modern Austria, the Legio II Pia Italica, which was stationed a place called Enns, in the current border of Upper and Lower Austria, in what was then the province of Noricum. The two you mention were in Upper Pannonia, and there were another two in Lower Pannonia (modern Hungary), and another one in Raetia, in Regensburg, in modern Bavaria.

Admiral Yi

This one is impossible, so anyone within a 1,000 miles gets the win.

What is the origin of the word "malapropism?"

HVC

Looked it up. No where near what I would have guessed
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Was it a character named Mrs Malaprop?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Syt

Who said:

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. Capital has its rights, which are as worthy of protection as any other rights. Nor is it denied that there is, and probably always will be, a relation between labor and capital producing mutual benefits. The error is in assuming that the whole labor of community exists within that relation."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

The Brain