News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Trivia Thread Resurrection

Started by Admiral Yi, April 06, 2021, 03:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on July 20, 2021, 12:15:28 PM
What was the largest number of kamikaze strikes (in one engagement) survived by an allied warship?

The ship that would not die? I forget its name, and probably never knew the number of strikes.

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on July 20, 2021, 03:57:02 PM
What was the largest number of kamikaze strikes (in one engagement) survived by an allied warship?

The ship that would not die? I forget its name, and probably never knew the number of strikes.

I'll accept that.  USS Laffey (DD-724) was hit by six kamikazes and four bombs and survived.  Nicknamed "The Ship That Would Not Die," she's a museum ship in Charleston now.

You're up.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on July 20, 2021, 05:13:19 PM
Quote from: Maladict on July 20, 2021, 03:57:02 PM

I'll accept that.  USS Laffey (DD-724) was hit by six kamikazes and four bombs and survived.  Nicknamed "The Ship That Would Not Die," she's a museum ship in Charleston now.

You're up.

Laffey, that's the one. Thanks.

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 20, 2021, 06:00:11 PM
I am impressed Maladict

I like to look up cool museum ships in the US (there are so many!) in case I'm ever in the area.

Maladict

Back to ancient times: According to tradition, where did Alaric take his loot from the sack of Rome?

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on July 21, 2021, 06:11:27 AM
Back to ancient times: According to tradition, where did Alaric take his loot from the sack of Rome?

Ebay?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Agelastus

Did he bury it then divert a river over the site so no-one would find it?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

mongers

Quote from: Agelastus on July 21, 2021, 08:20:22 AM

Yes Agel, I think you've got it, that does sound very familiar.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Yeah, it was up by Narbo in Roman Gaul, but I don't remember the name of the town.  Colleen McCullough had a fun little story about that...

Tolusa.  It was the "Gold of Tolusa"

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

Sounds like a good way tolusa your gold.  ;)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Agelastus

Quote from: grumbler on July 21, 2021, 08:59:38 AM

Yeah, it was up by Narbo in Roman Gaul, but I don't remember the name of the town.  Colleen McCullough had a fun little story about that...

Tolusa.  It was the "Gold of Tolusa"

I haven't looked it up but that sounds like two stories getting mixed up?

The Gold of Tolosa was gold left in the care of the locals who were related to members of a tribal alliance that went off to invade Italy (once again, without looking it up I want to say it was the Cimbri-Teutones group and it was the gold from their decade and more of wandering that they left behind before going off to launch a two pronged invasion of Italy that was beaten by Marius and his co-consul.)

McCullough believed or created the theory that a Servilius Caepio had arranged to have it removed from Tolosa and then to have the convoy ambushed and its guards killed so he could steal it for himself IIRC. She also stated it was kept at the bottom of a local set of sacred or artificial ponds by the local tribe.

Alaric's gold would have been buried in Italy.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."