And we're back!

Main Menu

Trivia Thread Resurrection

Started by Admiral Yi, April 06, 2021, 03:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 08, 2021, 08:31:20 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2021, 07:06:59 PM
This one is impossible, so anyone within a 1,000 miles gets the win.

What is the origin of the word "malapropism?"
Isn't it a character - I want to say in a Richard Sheridan play? Mrs Malaprop.

Much closer than 1,000 miles, but unfortunately Mrs. Malaprop was already guessed upstream.

grumbler

It was O'Toole and Close, and the total was eight nominations without a win.  An interesting side note is that O'Toole's nominations were all for leading roles, whole Close's noms were 50-50 between lead and supporting.  I'm not sure which record is the more impressive.

I'm going to assume that garbo's "Glenn" was Glenn Close and give the win to him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

I assume it was Swedish footballer Glenn Hysén. Or Swedish footballer Glenn Strömberg.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Agelastus

Quote from: The Brain on August 08, 2021, 01:17:18 PM
I assume it was Swedish footballer Glenn Hysén. Or Swedish footballer Glenn Strömberg.

I thought he meant Glenn Ford.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on August 08, 2021, 01:13:57 PM
It was O'Toole and Close, and the total was eight nominations without a win.  An interesting side note is that O'Toole's nominations were all for leading roles, whole Close's noms were 50-50 between lead and supporting.  I'm not sure which record is the more impressive.

I'm going to assume that garbo's "Glenn" was Glenn Close and give the win to him.

I'm happy to give it to Sheilbh as he also guessed a number of noms while I gave half a name. :blush:

But yes, meant the perennially robbed Glenn Close.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2021, 11:23:14 AM
Nicholas Cage.

Or someone in that unexpected vein.

He has a win. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 08, 2021, 02:41:47 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2021, 11:23:14 AM
Nicholas Cage.

Or someone in that unexpected vein.

He has a win. :contract:

Yes.  It's a sign of the crap that is the Oscars that Cage has won one in only two nominations, but O'Toole, Close, Burton, Finney, Raines, Kerr, and Ritter have zero in 43 nominations.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Who coined the term "factoid?"

I would never have guessed in a bajillion years.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2021, 10:33:32 PM

Churchill?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

I'm sure he would guess Churchill in the first year. Now if it was Churchill's mother's hairdresser, that might take longer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

You could probably guess any person of note in a year. Provided you knew of them in the first place.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2021, 10:33:32 PM

Author Douglas Coupland, coiner of "Generation X" and McJobs?

Edit: nope, though I was sort of on the right track.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

New question: In 1869, Welshman John Hughes founded a city in the Russian Empire around his coal and steel businesses. The city was called "Hughesovka" (or: Yuzovka).

What name does the city have today?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Had to wiki it, interesting answer.

grumbler

Bayraktar!