News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Trivia Thread Resurrection

Started by Admiral Yi, April 06, 2021, 03:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

What is the only US Navy (or even non-RN) ship to ever fly the Admiralty Pennant (signifying that the RN's Board of Admiralty was meeting onboard)?

Bonus question:  what were the circumstances?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

USS Missouri for the surrender of Japan?

Syt

I was going to suggest a war meeting of FDR and Churchill which I seem to recall was held aboard a ship in the Atlantic, but I don't recall its name.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 14, 2022, 01:59:00 AMI was going to suggest a war meeting of FDR and Churchill which I seem to recall was held aboard a ship in the Atlantic, but I don't recall its name.

Well they met on the HMS Prince of Wales that was part of Force Z that was sunk by the Japanese later that year, but I guess they also met on an American ship during that conference.  :hmm:

Not sure what that ship was named though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Threviel

USS Enterprise for some Magic carpet thingy?

The Brain

USS Ponce. The Admiralty briefly transferred there from HMS Cockchafer for the lols.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Threviel on December 14, 2022, 02:44:28 AMUSS Enterprise for some Magic carpet thingy?

Yep.  The Enterprise was engaged in Magic Carpet in Europe, when the Admiralty decided to give it this unique honor in recognition of its outstanding contributions to victory in the War in the Pacific.

Your turn.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Threviel

Why is there a Union Jack in the Hawaiian state flag?

Maladict

Quote from: Threviel on December 14, 2022, 10:19:31 AMWhy is there a Union Jack in the Hawaiian state flag?

Because it was also in the flag of the Kingdom of Hawaii?   :P

Threviel

Quote from: Maladict on December 14, 2022, 10:32:13 AM
Quote from: Threviel on December 14, 2022, 10:19:31 AMWhy is there a Union Jack in the Hawaiian state flag?

Well, yes, but I want the origin story.

Josquius

Hawaii wanting to keep both Britain and the US chill/defending the neutrality of Hawaii between them.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Did the Hawaiians capture a flag from Cook and adopt it as their own? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

Quote from: Threviel on December 14, 2022, 10:34:43 AM

Just saw a YouTube thing on flags and they said the emperor of Hawaii thought they flag looked cool and wanted to use it. He also hoped it would lead to joining the uk/being an Allie, but that never happened.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

I thought it was a flag that represented the union of the islands of Hawaii into one kingdom and by complete coincidence it just happened to resemble the Union Jack of Great Britain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Threviel

Quote from: HVC on December 14, 2022, 01:17:43 PM

Just saw a YouTube thing on flags and they said the emperor of Hawaii thought they flag looked cool and wanted to use it. He also hoped it would lead to joining the uk/being an Allie, but that never happened.

Close enough, the king was gifted it by some explorer and liked it better than the Russian.