And we're back!

Main Menu

Teaching English Abroad

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2009, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 05:31:32 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 08, 2009, 03:15:19 AM
The first post of this thread was dated 21 July, and at that time Tim had yet to make up his mind on this.  Less than 3 months later and he is already in South Korea.  I still can't believe he is doing this just to fulfill his "urge to see the world".
Shocking that the Chinese didn't circumnavigate the world back in the early 15th century when they had the means to do so. -_-
Yeah, I always find that amazing. Especially that finding the Americas would have likely been fairly easy just by following the coastline along Siberia to Alaska and on southward, of course preferably in summer. Just the curiosity to find out what else was out there.

Caliga

I was being sarcastic in my reply to Mono. ;)

Basically his attitude explains WHY the Chinese did not even though they had the means to do so.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 09:54:10 AM

Basically his attitude explains WHY the Chinese did not even though they had the means to do so.  :cool:
I figured, but still, even with the rationale/reasons why the Chinese (or Japanese) didn't make such travels still surprises me somewhat.

Neil

Quote from: KRonn on October 08, 2009, 10:05:28 AM
Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 09:54:10 AM

I figured, but still, even with the rationale/reasons why the Chinese (or Japanese) didn't make such travels still surprises me somewhat.
That's because you're looking at it from your own point of view.  Think of the Chinese like your average American.  They don't know much about the outside world, and they don't want to.  They feel that everywhere else in the world is inferior, so why bother to learn about them?  And they maintained that viewpoint right up to the time that the civilized world dismantled their country.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2009, 10:09:38 AM
That's because you're looking at it from your own point of view.  Think of the Chinese like your average American.  They don't know much about the outside world, and they don't want to.  They feel that everywhere else in the world is inferior, so why bother to learn about them?  And they maintained that viewpoint right up to the time that the civilized world dismantled their country.

Nice try, but the lack of concern of our general population doesn't stop us from exploiting the ROTW when we see an opportunity. We're more like the British than the Chinese. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 08, 2009, 10:22:13 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2009, 10:09:38 AM
Nice try, but the lack of concern of our general population doesn't stop us from exploiting the ROTW when we see an opportunity. We're more like the British than the Chinese. :contract:
Incorrect.  While the American elite is certainly able to take advantage of international sentiment and situations, and is able to locate Great Britain on a map, the great mass of the American people are not.  Thus, the average American is like the Chinese, except without the willingness to work.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2009, 10:26:01 AM
Incorrect.  While the American elite is certainly able to take advantage of international sentiment and situations, and is able to locate Great Britain on a map, the great mass of the American people are not.  Thus, the average American is like the Chinese, except without the willingness to work.
:huh: The average American may well be ignorant, but I don't recall hearing the accusation that the average American is lazy.

Eddie Teach

:lol:

Well, as long as our elites know where Britain is, they can point some missiles there and keep them from dismantling the country. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

The problem with Imperial China is that their words could not be backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS. :yes:  :(

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 10:30:02 AMThe average American may well be ignorant, but I don't recall hearing the accusation that the average American is lazy.

http://www.theonion.com/content/opinion/american_children_like_me_are

BuddhaRhubarb

The first post of this thread was dated 21 July, and at that time Tim had yet to make up his mind on this.  Less than 3 months later and he is already in South Korea.  I still can't believe he is doing this just to fulfill his "urge to see the world". 

That's a pretty standard timeline in my experience. I waited a bit longer (5 months between applying, and going) because I was trying to save some cash first, and had a complex financial situation to get cleared up) but I could have easily gone in three months. The Korean companies that were interested for example were all like: "Can you come next Thursday?"
:p

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 10:31:39 AM
The problem with Imperial China is that their words could not be backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS. :yes:  :(

:tinfoil: Could not, or would not?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

citizen k

Quote from: Caliga on October 08, 2009, 05:31:32 AM
Shocking that the Chinese didn't circumnavigate the world back in the early 15th century when they had the means to do so. -_-

You guys make Zheng He cry. :cry:

Caliga

I had him in mind... he COULD have circumnavigated the world, easily, and may well have done so had not the Emperor decided exploration was a total waste of time and ended Zheng He's expeditions.

Monoriu

Quote from: KRonn on October 08, 2009, 09:37:30 AM

Yeah, I always find that amazing. Especially that finding the Americas would have likely been fairly easy just by following the coastline along Siberia to Alaska and on southward, of course preferably in summer. Just the curiosity to find out what else was out there.

The Chinese instinct is to go South.  Which is pretty understandable.  In the north, all they find is ice, snow, wilderness, land not suitable for farming, and hostile nomads on horses.  In the south, they find trading partners, exotic riches, and a much more hospitable climate.