Teaching English Abroad

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2009, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camerus

You guys should try bai jiu.  It's around 50 or 60% alcohol.   :cheers:

Syt

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 20, 2009, 11:33:33 PM
Not that strong? It's like 20% alcohol! :blink:

That's like a strong wine. 9 shots of that should still be less than half a liter.

Strong starts at 40% (most shots).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 21, 2009, 12:07:49 AM
You guys should try bai jiu.  It's around 50 or 60% alcohol.   :cheers:

I had some of that in Japan. Knocked me on my ass. but in a fun way. hangover was kinda brutal.
:p

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Syt on October 21, 2009, 12:34:52 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 20, 2009, 11:33:33 PM
Not that strong? It's like 20% alcohol! :blink:

That's like a strong wine. 9 shots of that should still be less than half a liter.

Strong starts at 40% (most shots).

I'm a lightweight. :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on October 20, 2009, 11:02:35 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 20, 2009, 10:59:49 PM
What about the legendary nightly Korean booze fests?  Fact or fiction?

In Nanjing, othern than perhaps a small coterie of die-hard alcoholphiles, drinking culture is not very strong, especially among the women.

The general Chinese population don't drink too much, especially when compared with westerners. 
You can say that again, the Chinese suck at drinking.
I remember a Chinese friend once telling me in China believe only 'bad people' go to pubs. <_<
██████
██████
██████

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tyr on October 21, 2009, 02:44:24 AM
You can say that again, the Chinese suck at drinking.
I remember a Chinese friend once telling me in China believe only 'bad people' go to pubs. <_<

I guess I only hang out with bad Chinese.  When I was in China people were drinking like fish.  A club in Beijing even gave me a VIP card  :lol:

Monoriu

Traditionally, pubs are viewed very negatively in China.  Only criminal types, rebellious youngsters the mafia, etc go to pubs.  But things are beginning to change.  Now there are more and more lavishly decorated pubs catering for expats and the upper middle class who want to imitate a western style of living. 

Camerus

Quote from: Monoriu on October 21, 2009, 04:59:10 AM
Traditionally, pubs are viewed very negatively in China.  Only criminal types, rebellious youngsters the mafia, etc go to pubs.  But things are beginning to change.  Now there are more and more lavishly decorated pubs catering for expats and the upper middle class who want to imitate a western style of living.

Yes.  My (Chinese) girlfriend's father, who is perhaps the heaviest drinker I've ever met, was amused and surprised at the mere notion that he go to a "bad" pub.  My GF, on the other hand, likes to go.

Camerus

Another interesting fact is that most "pubs" I've found in China are actually more like clubs.  The ones with a more traditional, quiet pub atmosphere tend to be frequented by foreigners.

Monoriu

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 21, 2009, 05:42:34 AM
Another interesting fact is that most "pubs" I've found in China are actually more like clubs.  The ones with a more traditional, quiet pub atmosphere tend to be frequented by foreigners.

My impression is that these "pubs" are not designed for the masses.  They are for the nouveau riche.  The idea of going to a pub with friends was an alien concept in China 20 years ago.  It would be a grave insult to invite a non-criminal to one. 

DisturbedPervert

The first club I ever went to in Beijing was completely empty.  Had a capacity of a hundreds of people, yet me and my friends were the only people there.  We ordered a beer each to be polite and then left.  The second was near Sanlitun, and it was packed.  Hundreds of Chinese people, and we were the only white people there.

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on October 21, 2009, 05:48:40 AM
My impression is that these "pubs" are not designed for the masses.  They are for the nouveau riche.  The idea of going to a pub with friends was an alien concept in China 20 years ago.  It would be a grave insult to invite a non-criminal to one. 
I'm having trouble though imagining how pubs stayed in buisness if they were just for criminals.
Surely the police would have known this (since the rest of the population does)?
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on October 21, 2009, 07:06:34 AM
I'm having trouble though imagining how pubs stayed in buisness if they were just for criminals.
Surely the police would have known this (since the rest of the population does)?
I took Mono's comments to mean they're not actually just for criminals... it's just that alot of people think of them in that way.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on October 21, 2009, 07:08:59 AM
I took Mono's comments to mean they're not actually just for criminals... it's just that alot of people think of them in that way.
Similar to the way Marty thinks about the Polish lower middle class. :)