Marvel Cinematic Universe - The Marvels [Spoilers]

Started by garbon, January 30, 2021, 04:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on April 19, 2021, 03:59:26 PM
I hope Zemo gets his own show.

Why?  I haven't found him particularly compelling.

I am looking forward to the Loki TV show.  The trailers have it looking fairly bonkers - much more like Wandavision in that respect, and unlike FaWS which is comparatively much more grounded.  Too bad we have to wait until June for that one.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2021, 11:25:43 PM
Okay, so I think I've complained that while I appreciate the social messaging F&WS is trying to do, it's been kind of boring.

maybe one of the reasons why one should keep the social messaging out of escapism as much as feasible?
People watch this to get away from reality, not to get more of it shoved down their throats. At which point it can start to feel propagandesque.

celedhring

Marvel has been doing mindless entertainment for 15 years. No need to get the culture war axes out for the one time they try to do social commentary. Plus, I think it's handled quite well in the show. I.e., the flag smashers are obviously a refugee metaphor, but they are certainly gray characters. The whole Isaiah arc is a smart way to tell something about blacks being obscured from the official American narrative (although I feel Watchmen did exactly the same thing, and was fucking brilliant), while for example John Walker is not shown to be racist himself despite taking away the shield from the black protagonist...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Overall that was enjoyable and I'm glad the non-action bits (as they so aptly described in the films) were interesting in their own right, not simply stop gaps to next action sequence.

Nice tip off for Sharon at the end.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2021, 06:08:34 AM
No need to get the culture war axes out for the one time they try to do social commentary.
that's indeed advice that Hollywood should listen to.

celedhring

I liked it. The ending was probably just okay, in the sense that nothing surprising happened in it, and the back half of the episode was a bit too overloaded with drama. But overall the show was really interesting and I think it weaved its themes smartly, which is not easy to do while keeping it an entertainment product (and it was entertaining throughout).

Falcon's cap suit is a bit gaudy though... 

garbon

Zoupa

I liked Sam's speech. However, I was unable to be moved as his freaking suit looked like something you'd get off the discount rack at Party City. The colours and the material both threw me off.

Apart from that, by the end of the show you get to know and appreciate the 2 main characters (mostly Sam). I'd say that makes the show a success.

chipwich

The speech was really dumb without any background on what the GRC is.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Quote from: 11B4V on April 24, 2021, 05:28:32 PM
Quote from: chipwich on April 24, 2021, 05:16:59 PM
The speech was really dumb without any background on what the GRC is.

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Global_Repatriation_Council

Your nerd card should be taken away.

I watched every episode of FaWS.  Hell I think I have watched every Disney Marvel movie they've made.  I still really had trouble figuring out what the GRC was - that link did a better job of explaining why the 'blip' led to a refugee problem than anything I got from FaWS.

It was a satisfying end and character development for both leads so it was successful that way.  I still though found a lot of the plotlines to get there confusing, and so did my oldest kid.

So it looks like Elaine/Val is forming some kind of alternate or dark Avengers squad?  John Walker/US Agent obviously is one.  Maybe also Baron Zemo?  Maybe Agatha Harkness?  Should be interesting a few years down the road.

Barrister

Garbon - maybe time to rename the thread?  Cuz it's Loki time!

Exposition-heavy episode.  So of course my kids kept asking 'what's going on' when I kept replying "just listen!". :mad:

But I really liked it.  Deeply weird, kind of like Wandavision (and unlike FaWS), so I really enjoyed it.  Loved the visual look of it.

[spoiler]Slightly annoyed that the "Loki as DB Cooper" thing in every single trailer was written off in a few second 'I lost a bet with Thor' bit.[/spoiler]

Looks like it should be a good 'un though. :)

celedhring

The episode was a bit slow, but I'm willing to cut them some slack on that regard due to all the setup required. There were some fun moments and Hiddleston/Wilson look like they'll have some good chemistry.

I gotta say that the whole retrofuristic 1950s gimmick is starting to get a bit played out. Plus Umbrella Academy already did the "time travel police agency as a 1950s office" bit.