From the "Black People Arrest Themselves" files

Started by CountDeMoney, July 21, 2009, 05:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Siege on July 23, 2009, 02:44:37 PM
Is there anybody here that seriously think the cop was the one on the wrong?

Just the gay black guy and his Jewish overlord.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2009, 02:48:51 PM
You are only saying that because you are black.

That's racist, Mr. One Drop Rule. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I'm simply flabbergasted at what a debacle this whole thing has become. :blink:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on July 23, 2009, 03:02:51 PM
I'm simply flabbergasted at what a debacle this whole thing has become. :blink:

Hope & Change, Motherf***er
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

This has been overdone yes, but I think Berkut tries too hard to come to the white cops aid. Do you have a white persecution complex or something?

And CdM well. . . talk about a bad case of racial crisis identity. The dude doesn't know if hes a white man whos black, a black man who is white, or what.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jaron on July 23, 2009, 03:26:58 PM
And CdM well. . . talk about a bad case of racial crisis identity. The dude doesn't know if hes a white man whos black, a black man who is white, or what.

I am all colors to all people.  That's what makes me an expert on race.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2009, 11:59:29 AM
How is this relevant? Is it ok for him to play the race card and accuse officers who are there trying to help him of being racists and threaten them as long as he doesn't step off of his porch to do so?

Its relevant to showing that the arrest is totally unjustified.

We seem to be talking past each other.  You are focused on Gates' initial response and arguing that he was the "first" to inject race into the equation.  I don't dispute that (again under the questinable assumption that the police report is the entire truth), but I don't think its relevant because "you did it first" isn't really a defense to someone's professional conduct.  I am focused on the fact of the actual arrest itself.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

This has been overdone yes, but I think Berkut tries too hard to come to the white cops aid. Do you have a white persecution complex or something?

But I am not coming to the white cops aid so much as I am attacking Gates for being a dick.

The cop did his job, and probably should have been a little more kiss ass to the "eminent" scholar. But Gates precipitated the entire confrontation.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jaron

Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2009, 03:30:22 PM

But I am not coming to the white cops aid so much as I am attacking Gates for being a dick.

The cop did his job, and probably should have been a little more kiss ass to the "eminent" scholar. But Gates precipitated the entire confrontation.

He probably felt intimidated and struck out like a cornered asp. I think you see the situation and go "another black man crying racist!" and attack from that angle. Have you even bothered to try to look at the situation from Gates side and thought perhaps he felt threatened by this white police officer (given where he lives, I think it is an understandable fear).
Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on July 23, 2009, 02:16:09 PM
Well ... I suppose they could still have said "you don't know who you are dealing with". But I doubt many would express much sympathy for that particular comment.  :lol:

they certainly could have and once the officer realized who the person was, he wouldn't have arrested them.  period.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

he didn't have to kiss any ass.  He just had to get into his squad car and drive off without arresting the man on a trumped-up charge.  Incident over, and at worst it makes the police blotter and page 7 of the campus newspaper.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Why is he "eminent"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 23, 2009, 03:37:42 PM

he didn't have to kiss any ass.  He just had to get into his squad car and drive off without arresting the man on a trumped-up charge.  Incident over, and at worst it makes the police blotter and page 7 of the campus newspaper.

Letting some douchebag treat you like shit when you are there to help him and running away when he threatens you might have been the smart move, but I don't fault him for not taking it.

Of course, Gates didn't have to be a race-baiting dickhead, but he went ahead with it anyway, and is now playing it for every instant of media attention he can get. The sad thing is that people are actually defending him.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Jaron on July 23, 2009, 03:33:52 PM

He probably felt intimidated and struck out like a cornered asp.

He was intimidated that a police officer would ask him for ID?

I think he was just cranky and pissed off, and decided he would take it out on the cracker who had the audacity to ask him who he was and what he was doing.

He is a Grade A asshole. The kind of guy who is probably a great friend to those he considers his peers, but treats anyone he thinks of as lower in the social structure like shit. The best way to treat this white officer like shit was to whip out the race card the instant he asked for ID, so that is what he did.

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on July 23, 2009, 03:41:48 PM
Letting some douchebag treat you like shit when you are there to help him and running away when he threatens you might have been the smart move, but I don't fault him for not taking it.

While Gates did need help into his house, the police arrived too late to be of assistance. :(