Mysterious monolith appears in Utah desert

Started by Syt, November 25, 2020, 10:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on November 25, 2020, 04:19:22 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 25, 2020, 04:16:02 PM

It's hardly a massive structure.

Size shamer

No, he is correct.  Not nearly tall enough to be massive.  Hardly the height of one CC.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on November 25, 2020, 03:49:29 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on November 25, 2020, 03:42:12 PM
So ya'll are saying it should be a monoferr?  Doesn't sound as snappy.  :P
Nah, BB is talking in terms of geography/geology.  Others are using a less narrow definition.

*BB points to his geology degree* :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 25, 2020, 04:21:36 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 25, 2020, 04:19:22 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 25, 2020, 04:16:02 PM

It's hardly a massive structure.

Size shamer

No, he is correct.  Not nearly tall enough to be massive.  Hardly the height of one CC.

It's between 10 and 12 feet. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on November 25, 2020, 11:06:35 AM
Is anyone else irritated at how they call this thing a "metal monolith"? <_<

Should they call it monochrome instead? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

If Monolith was good enough for Arthur C Clarke, it's good enough for me
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 25, 2020, 05:01:21 PM
If Monolith was good enough for Arthur C Clarke, it's good enough for me

The material was never really described, other than being black, IIRC.

I can live with calling it a monolith.  It's "metal monolith" that grinds my gears. :mad:

Razgovory

That would mix Latin and Greek.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on November 25, 2020, 03:49:29 PM
Nah, BB is talking in terms of geography/geology.  Others are using a less narrow definition.

It's not a definition so much as an etymology.  Word origins are interesting field.  They can shine light on meaning.  For instance, the name "Viper" is German

"Vipe" is how the Germans say for "Wipe".  The "R" is German for "That shit on your face"  So the word means "wipe that shit (off) your face".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Aren't naturally occurring lumps of metal considered parts of the lithosphere btw?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on November 25, 2020, 05:47:38 PM
Aren't naturally occurring lumps of metal considered parts of the lithosphere btw?

There's a couple of metals you can find in nature in raw elemental form (copper is one) but almost invariably metal elements are tied up within minerals.  And any elemental mineral you find isn't going to form something large enough to be called a monolith.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on November 25, 2020, 05:50:53 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 25, 2020, 05:47:38 PM

There's a couple of metals you can find in nature in raw elemental form (copper is one) but almost invariably metal elements are tied up within minerals.  And any elemental mineral you find isn't going to form something large enough to be called a monolith.

Just establishing that things of metal can live under a lith umbrella. And the largest natural lump of metal I've touched weighed 22 tons, which I think could at least approximate a 2001 style object in size.

Barrister

You can call a 22 ton of naturally occurring metal a "metal monolith" if you like. :hug:

But you can't call this thing in Utah that. :mad:

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on November 25, 2020, 06:02:10 PM
You can call a 22 ton of naturally occurring metal a "metal monolith" if you like. :hug:

I wouldn't. "Metal potato" maybe.

The Brain

If anyone's interested it's a piece of iron presently sitting in front of the Natural History Museum in Stockholm. It was brought from Greenland in the 1870s. The guy who found it initially thought it was meteoritic, but it was soon established that it was terrestrial in origin.

Valmy

So either the original artist went out there and took it down or somebody went out there and stole it but it did not stay up there for long after its discovery.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."