Mysterious monolith appears in Utah desert

Started by Syt, November 25, 2020, 10:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on December 01, 2020, 06:05:39 PM
It is definitely religious.  Likely a Phallus See.

Have the phallus over for a beer and maybe some poker.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on December 01, 2020, 04:43:35 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2020, 04:38:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2020, 04:36:02 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2020, 04:31:49 PM
How do you know this mysterious metal monolith is not capable of changing shape?

Not a monolith.

Trilith, because of the three sides, right?

I think I'm getting the hang of this.

:yes:  It's not a monolith if it has more than one side.
:uh:
no, not at all.  We do not live in a one dimensional world.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

How do you know this mysterious metal monolith is not capable of changing shape?

Not a monolith.

Isn't the "mono" part referred to it being carved out of a single piece? Which the first one failed to accomplish since I saw something that looked like screws on it.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on December 02, 2020, 02:24:13 AM

Not a monolith.

Isn't the "mono" part referred to it being carved out of a single piece? Which the first one failed to accomplish since I saw something that looked like screws on it.

Well, monolith literally means "one stone", after all.

DGuller

PDH

Quote from: DGuller on December 02, 2020, 07:45:33 AM
Does the wooden phallus have any stones?

No, the vandals cut its rocks off too.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

Quote from: PDH on December 02, 2020, 09:34:35 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 02, 2020, 07:45:33 AM
Does the wooden phallus have any stones?

No, the vandals cut its rocks off too.

At least the vandals didn't take the handle.  :sleep:

The Larch

It's now California's turn...  :ph34r:

QuoteNew mystery metal monolith appears on a California mountaintop
Not long after a similar structure was discovered in a Utah desert, a silvery column has been found in Atascadero

A new mystery metal monolith has appeared atop a mountain in California, just a week after a similar structure captured the imagination of the world when it was discovered in the deserts of Utah – before being taken down and disappeared.

The local newspaper in the small town of Atascadero, on the central California coast, reported that the silvery column had been found atop Pine mountain where dozens of local hikers made the trip to view it – and post their pictures on the internet.

"The three-sided obelisk appeared to be made of stainless steel, 10-feet tall and 18 inches wide. The object was welded together at each corner, with rivets attaching the side panels to a likely steel frame inside," the Atascadero News reported.

Unlike its Utah sibling – which was firmly mounted in the rocks where it was found – the Atascadero monolith was apparently a little wobbly and the newspaper reported that it might be possible to push it over.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on December 03, 2020, 08:28:52 AM
Unlike its Utah sibling – which was firmly mounted in the rocks where it was found – the Atascadero monolith was apparently a little wobbly and the newspaper reported that it might be possible to push it over.

The aliens are getting sloppy.  <_<

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

No way this isn't part of some stupid marketing campaign, right?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on December 03, 2020, 10:54:08 AM

If so then they play the long game, as the Utah original was apparently on Google Earth images from years ago, I think?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on December 03, 2020, 10:54:08 AM

Nah, this is just the crop circles for the 2020s.  Someone does a thing, gets a bunch of media attention, so copycats start springing up.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould