News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 11:39:44 AM
Yeah in my county Biden got 10,000 move votes than the Congressional and Senatorial candidates for the Democrats. Five thousand people who voted for Biden went with third party candidates and 2,000 voted for the Senatorial candidate while voting for Joe Biden and 5,000 voted for the Republican Congressional candidate while voting for Joe Biden. And another 6,000 people just voted for Joe Biden or Donald Trump and left the rest of the ballot blank.

So the result was a 1.5 point win for Joe Biden but a three point loss in the Senate race and a five point loss in the House race.

Joe Biden's coattails were not exactly sweeping everybody along.

This wasn't a win for the Democratic platform. This was a loss for four years of Republican chaos. That's not going to translate at the lower levels of government.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2020, 11:28:31 AM
You on the other hand were opposed to Trump for those same reasons - but also because he was a Republican.

WE JUST FUCKING SAID THAT WE WOULD ALSO OPPOSE TRUMP IS HE WAS A DEMOCRAT.

Jesus Christ.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: DGuller on November 06, 2020, 10:40:50 AM
Have there been any good Downfall videos out yet?  I've seen two, but both were kind of meh.

Yeah, I've been trawling the web for them and so far they've been quite disappointing.

Josquius

Yeah, moderate republican vs. a democrat Trump and its clear the republicans would be the one to support.
Though its obviously a bit of a daft theoretical as the troubles with the republicans are deeper than trump. I can't see the same circumstances allowing a Trump figure in the Dems in our timeline.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 11:43:52 AM
You on the other hand were opposed to Trump for those same reasons - but also because he was a Republican.

Jesus Christ.

Don't worry, Valmy. Seven people called him out, but I was the only one he felt a need to call out. This is clearly because I'm the extremist of the extremes of the Democrats here on Languish. :)

Maladict

Looks like he woke up a few minutes ago.

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on November 06, 2020, 11:46:19 AM

Jesus Christ.

Don't worry, Valmy. Seven people called him out, but I was the only one he felt a need to call out. This is clearly because I'm the extremist of the extremes of the Democrats here on Languish. :)

So, still fairly right.  :P

Valmy reads the Canadian thread but do you and others? This is pretty par for the course language from BB. Destruction of Government & Forced-Birth agenda.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Jesus Christ.

You can see the conservative narrative post trump.  All is well.  Now that the big bad is gone no need to change a thing.  You are all just a bunch of GOP haters at this point.  Oh, and don't notice that we are the same group that supported him these last four years and that all our policies are exactly the same.  Next time we will have a much more slick front man.

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on November 06, 2020, 10:16:46 AM

Stacy Abrams is the architect for Biden's victory in Georgia.  She's accomplished something that hasn't been done in 28 years, delivered an election to Democratic Presidential nominee.  Make her party chair.  The rest of the Dems could learn a lot from her.  Unless she want's a cabinet post, then give her whatever post she wants.

Wait a second...

While Biden is probably going to win Georgia, the Democrats are going to finish with less votes in both senate races (both headed to runoff), and didn't unseat any republican incumbents in the house (republicans will send 8 to 5 dems - one race outstanding but an open seat probably going to dems).

In the state senate, they picked up one seat. The chamber was 34-21, now it will be 33-22.

In the state house, it looks like they picked up three seats (one of which was my district). It was 103-75, so it will be something like 100-78 (there are some races still outstanding).

Everything in the state has been lost for the Democrats, except for a presidential election that probably will have no effect on anything (Biden would win without Georgia).

The bigger context is that this is a redistricting year, so the republicans will be in complete control of that process and probably gerrymander a democratic house seat or two out of existence, and lock down the legislature a bit more.

The context totally changes if Democrats pick up the Senate seats, but focusing just on the headlines of Biden winning Georgia is missing something.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2020, 11:48:14 AM

Jesus Christ.

Valmy reads the Canadian thread but do you and others? This pretty par for the course language from BB. Destruction of Government & Forced-Birth agenda.

I think this is why people are surprised when BB shows his true colours outside the Canadian thread.  Everybody views him as a mild manner Canadian who happens to be a Conservative.  I don't think people realize how right wing the right wing of the Canadian Conservative party is.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2020, 11:45:33 AM
Yeah, moderate republican vs. a democrat Trump and its clear the republicans would be the one to support.
Though its obviously a bit of a daft theoretical as the troubles with the republicans are deeper than trump. I can't see the same circumstances allowing a Trump figure in the Dems in our timeline.

Since Trump was quite literally a Democrat at several points in his life it's not hard to imagine a Democratic Trump.

There were always clearly some issues that Trump believed in strongly: tariffs, foreign non-involvement, against immigration.  Those beliefs match the Democrats about as well as they match the GOP, which is to say imperfectly.

Then there were issues that Trump very clearly embraced because his followers believed them: anti-abortion, judges.  It's not hard to imagine Trump the man running in the Democratic primary in 2016.  And it's a far-out-there counter-factual, but given the opposition he might have won just as easily.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PJL

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2020, 11:49:43 AM

Jesus Christ.

You can see the conservative narrative post trump.  All is well.  Now that the big bad is gone no need to change a thing.  You are all just a bunch of GOP haters at this point.  Oh, and don't notice that we are the same group that supported him these last four years and that all our policies are exactly the same.  Next time we will have a much more slick front man.

Indeed, the conclusion from this election is that many voters don't like Trump personally, but are okay with his polices. So the conclusion is to tone down the rhetoric/confrontation but leave the substance unchanged.

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2020, 11:48:14 AM

Valmy reads the Canadian thread but do you and others? This is pretty par for the course language from BB. Destruction of Government & Forced-Birth agenda.

I'm a centrist and have always been. It's not my fault the parties shifted to put me solidly in the blue. :P

Josquius

Man Georgia is being such a tease, trickling through votes a dozen at a time.

QuoteSince Trump was quite literally a Democrat at several points in his life it's not hard to imagine a Democratic Trump.

There were always clearly some issues that Trump believed in strongly: tariffs, foreign non-involvement, against immigration.  Those beliefs match the Democrats about as well as they match the GOP, which is to say imperfectly.

Then there were issues that Trump very clearly embraced because his followers believed them: anti-abortion, judges.  It's not hard to imagine Trump the man running in the Democratic primary in 2016.  And it's a far-out-there counter-factual, but given the opposition he might have won just as easily.
I disagree.
Trump supporting the Democrats, feasible. Trump attempting a run, feasible. But Trump actually winning the dem primary? All the stuff people said about him having no chance with the republicans would actually apply there. Being a racist, corrupt cheat would harm him seriously with the dems whilst it is fairly in line with what the republicans have become.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Jesus Christ.

I always assume that no response means that what I said was so moronic it's not worth commenting on or even ridiculing it. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.