Hagia Sophia to be turned back into a mosque

Started by The Larch, July 10, 2020, 10:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2020, 03:38:52 PMOur identity was being forged against the "dark", "oppressive" strictures of Spanish Catholicism - all hysterical mysticism, the Inquisition and the auto da fe.

Which is something that was, in a significative way, a made up strawman.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on August 05, 2020, 05:26:54 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2020, 03:38:52 PMOur identity was being forged against the "dark", "oppressive" strictures of Spanish Catholicism - all hysterical mysticism, the Inquisition and the auto da fe.

Oh absolutely. It was a real threat - as the Armada indicates - but it was transformed into an imagined threat too. I think that vision of Spain probably still holds a place in the popular imagination/standard Whig-ish history of England.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2020, 03:38:52 PM

A serious house on serious earth it is,
In whose blent air all our compulsions meet,
Are recognised, and robed as destinies.
And that much never can be obsolete,
Since someone will forever be surprising
A hunger in himself to be more serious,
And gravitating with it to this ground,
Which, he once heard, was proper to grow wise in,
If only that so many dead lie round.

Old fat spider spinning in a tree!
Old fat spider can't see me!
          Attercop! Attercop!
               Won't you stop,
Stop your spinning and look for me!

Old Tomnoddy, all big body,
Old Tomnoddy can't spy me!
          Attercop! Attercop!
                Down you drop!
You'll never catch me up your tree!

Lazy Lob and crazy Cob
are weaving webs to wind me.
I am far more sweet than other meat,
but still they cannot find me!

Here am I, naughty little fly;
you are fat and lazy.
You cannot trap me, though you try,
in your cobwebs crazy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

That's only because nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2020, 05:33:47 PM

Oh absolutely. It was a real threat - as the Armada indicates - but it was transformed into an imagined threat too. I think that vision of Spain probably still holds a place in the popular imagination/standard Whig-ish history of England.

The Black Legend still has a few tiny ripples. I was taught the Whiggish version of England's history at school (have updated since of course); so on my first visit to Spain, more than 40 years ago, I was delighted with how friendly and delightful the people were. Of course I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition (who does?), but my expectations were definitely slightly lowered and influenced by the history............which is ridiculous in retrospect.

The Brain

We all remember seeing the Spanish Armoury in the Tower. Scary stuff! To think that the Armada came close to unleashing such horrible instruments of torture on upstanding Englishmen.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2020, 03:38:52 PMOur identity was being forged against the "dark", "oppressive" strictures of Spanish Catholicism - all hysterical mysticism, the Inquisition and the auto da fé.

Cultural appropriation!  :ultra: :D

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 06, 2020, 05:52:03 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2020, 03:38:52 PMOur identity was being forged against the "dark", "oppressive" strictures of Spanish Catholicism - all hysterical mysticism, the Inquisition and the auto da fé.

Blame the Anglos, who after several centuries still don't know how things are properly written.  :P Why it's the Portuguese wording the one used internationally I just don't know.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on August 06, 2020, 05:57:47 AM

Blame the Anglos, who after several centuries still don't know how things are properly written.  :P Why it's the Portuguese wording the one used internationally I just don't know.
I'm not going to use accents on Languish without a very good reason :P

No idea why we have the Portuguese wording though. I just had a quick look in a dictionary and apparently the first use in English is 1688 and it is "auto da fe", so Portuguese from the start :hmm:

Edit: And, given the year, almost certainly something about the terrifying threat of a Catholic king etc etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Probably took spelling tips off Catherine of Braganza  :P

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 06, 2020, 06:04:20 AM
Probably took spelling tips off Catherine of Bragança  :P

Getting ahead of Duque.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2020, 06:02:05 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 06, 2020, 05:57:47 AM

I'm not going to use accents on Languish without a very good reason :P

No idea why we have the Portuguese wording though. I just had a quick look in a dictionary and apparently the first use in English is 1688 and it is "auto da fe", so Portuguese from the start :hmm:

Edit: And, given the year, almost certainly something about the terrifying threat of a Catholic king etc etc.

French TLFI notes both spellings, citing the now old-fashioned hyphenated orthography as well.

QuotePRONONC. ET ORTH. : [] ou [-]. Également [-] (PASSY 1914) et [oto-] (DUB.) a) Attesté sous la graph. auto-da-fé ds Ac. 1798, 1835, BESCH. 1845, Lar. 19e, LITTRÉ (cf. aussi ex. 1, 2, 4). Attesté sous la graph. autodafé ds Ac. 1878, 1932, GUÉRIN 1892, Nouv. Lar. ill., DG, Pt Lar. 1906, ROB., Lar. encyclop., QUILLET 1965, DUB. et Lar. Lang. fr. (cf. aussi ex. 3, 5). b) L'expr. auto-da-fé ,,tirée d'une langue étrangère ne prend point de s au pluriel`` (LAV. Diffic. 1846). (Cf. aussi ex. 2; cf. toutefois l'ex. 1). Sous la forme francisée, autodafé prend normalement s au plur. (cf. ex. 3).
ÉTYMOL. ET HIST.  1714 auto-da-fé « lecture et exécution publique de la sentence par laquelle l'Inquisition condamnait les hérétiques au supplice du feu » (LESAGE, Gil Blas, XII, 1 ds ROB. : Seigneur cavalier, vous venez apparemment dans cette ville pour voir l'auguste cérémonie de l'auto-da-fé [...] Vous verrez, reprit-il, une des plus belles processions qui aient jamais été faites : il y a, dit-on, plus de cent prisonniers parmi lesquels on en compte plus de dix qui doivent être brûlés); 1759 autodafé « id. » (VOLTAIRE, Candide, VI, ibid).
Empr. à l'esp. auto de fe « id. » (BRUNOT, t. 6, 2, II, 1240; RUPP., p. 84; en raison du texte d'où est tirée la 1re attest., influencé par plusieurs romans esp.) croisé avec le port. auto da fe « id. », tous deux signifiant proprement « acte de foi » (acte* et foi*).

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on August 06, 2020, 06:06:30 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 06, 2020, 06:04:20 AM
Probably took spelling tips off Catherine of Bragança  :P

Getting ahead of Duque.  :P

Obrigado!

D. Catarina is more famous for popularising tea in Albion though.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 06, 2020, 08:54:37 AM
D. Catarina is more famous for popularising tea in Albion though.  :P
Her Wikipedia has that customary entry in figures (especially foreigners!) in 17-8th century English history - "Popish plot" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!