Hagia Sophia to be turned back into a mosque

Started by The Larch, July 10, 2020, 10:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Christian churches that are both active churches as well as historical/heritage sites.

That being said, I would still be skeptical of this move simply because Erdogan is the one pushing it.

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 16, 2020, 02:16:48 PM
I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Christian churches that are both active churches as well as historical/heritage sites.

That being said, I would still be skeptical of this move simply because Erdogan is the one pushing it.

Sure. If there was a need for it to be a mosque and it has been a functioning mosque with an established community. But there is no need for it to be converted into a mosque. It is just being done to symbolize nationalist glory and victory over Turkish enemies and shit.

As I said there is one of the most amazing and beautiful mosques in the world right next door. There is no need for it.

So you should be skeptical.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

What were the major problems when it was a mosque earlier?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

That the Ottoman Empire was a Muslim state. Ataturk changed that but now Erdogan wants to go back. The building is just a symbol.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2020, 02:20:23 PM

So you should be skeptical.

extra so in light of his actions in/towards Syria (actively supporting ethnic cleansing), Lybia (UN Embargo), Cyprus, Greece (border and airspace), the Eastern Med, about every European country where there's a Turkish migrant community, NATO.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on July 16, 2020, 03:14:38 PM

Tons. A World War, genocide, occupation by foreign powers...I don't know how many were about the building though.

But yeah it is just symbolic and unnecessary.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2020, 02:01:19 PM
Because there is a huge and beautiful Ottoman Mosque right next to it, the Blue Mosque. There is zero reason for it to be a mosque except for nationalist Turk douchebag reasons. It is an ancient historical heritage site that should remain a museum.
And 500 years of that heritage/history was as a mosque. As I say I like buildings living and being used - especially religious sites - not preserved in aspic.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2020, 03:56:29 PM

Tons. A World War, genocide, occupation by foreign powers...I don't know how many were about the building though.

If it's a meaningful symbol to the Turks then I don't see a problem with letting them have it.

Eddie Teach

It was a meaningful symbol to the Orthodox Christians too.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 16, 2020, 04:33:53 PM
It's been a mosque for most of the last 500 years. You know, I'm sorry but I have to deal with Protestants squatting in the Bendictine Abbey of Westminster, Moroccans have to put up with Seville Cathedral. At a certain point you have to accept all of the history the building has as valid, not just your slice half a millenium ago.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

*shrug* Then they shouldn't have lost it. If you can't let go after more than 500 years you have issues.

Eddie Teach

I dunno, if you can hold a grudge for 100 years 500 shouldn't be that big a stretch.

The Brain

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on July 16, 2020, 04:17:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 16, 2020, 03:56:29 PM

If it's a meaningful symbol to the Turks then I don't see a problem with letting them have it.

I wasn't planning on taking it from them. I was also unaware it previously did not belong to them.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 16, 2020, 04:39:22 PM
It's been a mosque for most of the last 500 years. You know, I'm sorry but I have to deal with Protestants squatting in the Bendictine Abbey of Westminster, Moroccans have to put up with Seville Cathedral.

Ok and if Spain decided to turn the Seville Cathedral into a museum to celebrate our shared human heritage it would be a pretty regressive and shitty thing to do to switch it back to a cathedral. Especially as this switch has nothing to do with the need for a mosque or Islam. This is about nationalist reactionary far right shittiness and pettiness. And there is a context of tons of other similar things they are currently doing, most of them much more sinister and serious and impact actual living people rather than ancient stones.

So no I am not going to endorse this move by Erdogan and his corrupt regime, even if you could somehow turn it back into a Mosque with good intentions somehow this is not what is going on here. For what that is worth :lol:

QuoteAt a certain point you have to accept all of the history the building has as valid, not just your slice half a millenium ago.

Hey I have a great way to do that: make it a museum.