Hagia Sophia to be turned back into a mosque

Started by The Larch, July 10, 2020, 10:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

QuoteCourt ruling paves way for Istanbul's Hagia Sophia to revert to mosque
Status of Unesco-listed 1,500-year-old building has been hotly debated for decades

A Turkish court ruling has paved the way for Istanbul's crowning architectural jewel, the Hagia Sophia museum, to be turned back into a mosque – a politically charged decision that has drawn international criticism but delighted the president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's conservative base.

Turkey's highest administrative court, the Council of State, ruled unanimously on Friday to annul a 1934 presidential decree that stripped the Hagia Sophia of its religious status and turned it into a museum. The government can now take steps to convert the 1,500-year-old building back into a Muslim house of worship.

The Unesco-listed Hagia Sophia (Divine Wisdom), or Ayasofya in Turkish, was completed in 537AD by the Byzantine emperor Justinian, and for centuries served as one of the world's most important centres of Christianity.

The cathedral was converted into an imperial mosque 550 years ago after the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople, and then became a museum on the orders of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of the Turkish Republic.

The status of the world heritage site has been hotly debated for decades by Christians, Muslims and those who believe in preserving the Turkish state's secular principles.

Friday's ruling settled a case brought by a religious group that has campaigned for years for the Hagia Sophia to be reconverted into a mosque. It questioned the legality of Atatürk's decision, telling the court that the building was the personal property of Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II, who conquered Istanbul in 1453.

Erdoğan, who has championed Islamic values during his 17 years in power, publicly took up the cause last year in an effort to shore up waning support for his ruling Justice and Development party (AKP).

Recent polling by a pro-government newspaper found that 73% of Turks were in favour of converting the museum back into a house of worship, although another survey conducted by Metropoll found that 44% of respondents believed the building's fate had been put on the agenda to divert voters' attention away from Turkey's economic woes.

In the run-up to the court's decision, Ankara's international allies and foes alike criticised the impending move. The decision has further soured tensions with neighbouring Greece, which claims the building as an important part of its own history.

Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, the spiritual head of 300 million Orthodox Christians, said altering the status of the building would fracture the eastern and western worlds. Russia's Orthodox church said on Thursday that turning it into a mosque was "unacceptable".

Last week the US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, said any change would diminish the Hagia Sophia's ability "to serve humanity as a much-needed bridge between those of differing faith, traditions and cultures."

Unesco, too, has said any changes to the building's status must be reviewed by its world heritage committee.

The first prayers in the building are expected to be held on 15 July, the fourth anniversary of a failed coup against Erdoğan's government.

Barrister

Wow.  I know that sometimes I am behind the times, but I didn't realize I was this far behind the times.

I thought the Hagia Sophia was still a mosque.  I didn't know it was converted into a museum in 1934.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

He may or may not be doing it for the wrong reasons, but I don't see a problem with it being a mosque again. Many old historically important religious buildings still serve as religious buildings without any problems. There are some risks I suppose (if Erdogan or a successor thinks that pleasing some future hardcore nutters is more important than tourist money the building and its art could be in jeopardy), but they don't seem astronomical to this observer.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on July 10, 2020, 10:47:44 AM
He may or may not be doing it for the wrong reasons, but I don't see a problem with it being a mosque again.

Well the problem with it being a mosque of course is that it should instead be a church.

Sheilbh

Yeah. I don't really see the issue with it - I know it's sensitive to Orthodox Christians and Catholics. I remember there were fears that when Benedict XVI visited he might say a prayer which would kick off a storm because it is an entirely secular building in Turkey's system.

Maybe it couldn't be state funded as a mosque? But you can visit all of the mosques in Istanbul anyway and it's not like it would look differently as a mosque because it had been one for several hundred years before it became a museum. And it's also not a museum with lots of exhibits. So I don't really see how it would change very much as a visitor if it was a mosque.

It is, relatedly near mosques, and I went to Istanbul for a trip a few years ago in January just after the terrorist attacks so it was very quiet. And walking through a very empty Hagia Sofia when the call to prayer started was an amazing experience.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2020, 11:06:58 AM
Well the problem with it being a mosque of course is that it should instead be a church.
Sure. And Westminster Abbey should be in the hands of the Benedictines or for that matter the Basilica in Ravenna should really still be Greek Orthodox.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 10, 2020, 11:09:09 AMSo I don't really see how it would change very much as a visitor if it was a mosque.

The only issue from a visitor's standpoint, AFAIK, is that all mosaics and human representations in the building would have to be covered, as you can't depict people in islamic places of worship. I read somewhere that how that'll be done hasn't been decided yet, there were talks of installing curtains to cover them during prayer times, which is something that has been done in other fomer Byzantine churches turned mosques in recent times (this is the 5th time that a former Byzantine church has been turned into a mosque during Erdogan's rule, following amongst others the Hagia Sophias of Trebizond and Nicea). Also UNESCO should have been notified beforehand due to the change of use for the building, given that it's a World Heritage Site.

Apparently Erdogan has already signed the official decree to turn it into a mosque, so I guess that the interrogation sign in the thread title is not really necessary anymore.

celedhring

Josquius

Silly populism.
The Hagia Sophia is a very popular tourist attraction, one of Istanbul's main draws.
As a mosque?... there's already enough large mosques in the area isn't there? I'm not familiar with any capacity problems.

QuoteMaybe it couldn't be state funded as a mosque? But you can visit all of the mosques in Istanbul anyway and it's not like it would look differently as a mosque because it had been one for several hundred years before it became a museum. And it's also not a museum with lots of exhibits. So I don't really see how it would change very much as a visitor if it was a mosque.
Ish. I remember back when I visited you did have a lot less freedom to look around in the mosques. I'm not sure how it would be for women too. No matter whether its a church or a mosque or whatever being an active place of worship will bring some drawbacks.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Tbf most Catholic cathedrals remain active places of worship while being cultural attractions. I don't trust Erdogan's agenda in this (or pretty much anything), but on principle I'm not against it being restored to worship.

Sheilbh

I mean admittedly I went in January so we were all wrapped up, but I think there were still signs asking people to dress respectfully - though you'd have to take your shoes off. We visited the Blue Mosque which was absolutely fine and that was during prayers.

QuoteSo, when's the Pope calling for a crusade?
:lol: Benedict XVI un-abdicates.

QuoteThe only issue from a visitor's standpoint, AFAIK, is that all mosaics and human representations in the building would have to be covered, as you can't depict people in islamic places of worship. I read somewhere that how that'll be done hasn't been decided yet, there were talks of installing curtains to cover them during prayer times, which is something that has been done in other fomer Byzantine churches turned mosques in recent times (this is the 5th time that a former Byzantine church has been turned into a mosque during Erdogan's rule, following amongst others the Hagia Sophias of Trebizond and Nicea). Also UNESCO should have been notified beforehand due to the change of use for the building, given that it's a World Heritage Site.
That makes sense - I mean I loved the palimpsestical nature of Hagia Sofia with the mosaics, and the graffiti by bored vikings, and the huge "no God but God" signs etc. So I'm kind of comfortable with curtains or something like that.

Plus I have a general preference to religious spaces being used as religious spaces not being museums. Nothing will get me more unreasonably angry than being charged to enter a church (this is probably why I've still never been in most of Westminster Abbey  :blush:) when I feel they are spiritual spaces that should be open to us all - and then I'll donate for the upkeep.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on July 10, 2020, 01:10:11 PM
HA-HA BYZANTEENS  :menace:

That's Byzanto-fourtysomething to you thank you very much! :mad:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points