ROTW: Trump
1 (1.8%)
ROTW: Third party
0 (0%)
ROTW: Null vote / won't vote
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Sophie Scholl

Not everyone lives in a swing state. A lot of votes for President are more or less wasted/unnecessary due to the way the system is set up. Appealing to the need for down ballot voting in non-swing states I think is a much better usage of time and effort than making blanket statements condemning anyone who doesn't vote Biden.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2020, 06:01:27 PM
Something that appeals to their core values I would say.

What would those be? I mean - that would convince them in voting Democrat/against Trump.

Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 19, 2020, 06:38:56 PM
Not everyone lives in a swing state. A lot of votes for President are more or less wasted/unnecessary due to the way the system is set up. Appealing to the need for down ballot voting in non-swing states I think is a much better usage of time and effort than making blanket statements condemning anyone who doesn't vote Biden.

I agree as far as down ballot voting is concerned, or for populations for whom voting already comes with significant investment of resources. However, results are being, and will be, very much part of the political rhetoric in the upcoming election. There is a not insignificant possibility that Trump will undermine the very legitimacy of the election, and the legitimacy of the results. In these circumstances, there is a great symbolic value in sending numbers that overwhelmingly demonstrate a rejection of the GOP, and a greater symbolic value for conservatives to actually make that decision.

Razgovory

It will also piss off Trump a great deal if he wins the electoral college and loses the popular vote again.  And honestly, that about as good as we are going to get.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Trump will lose, and we'll trade one crazy geezer for another.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Oexmelin

You don't see a difference between the two?

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2020, 07:16:53 PM
It will also piss off Trump a great deal if he wins the electoral college and loses the popular vote again.  And honestly, that about as good as we are going to get.

I think the voters will be pissed, not Trump  ;)

Habbaku

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 19, 2020, 08:33:02 PM
You don't see a difference between the two?

They're both crazy geezers, at least.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 19, 2020, 07:13:59 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 19, 2020, 06:38:56 PM

I agree as far as down ballot voting is concerned, or for populations for whom voting already comes with significant investment of resources. However, results are being, and will be, very much part of the political rhetoric in the upcoming election. There is a not insignificant possibility that Trump will undermine the very legitimacy of the election, and the legitimacy of the results. In these circumstances, there is a great symbolic value in sending numbers that overwhelmingly demonstrate a rejection of the GOP, and a greater symbolic value for conservatives to actually make that decision.

What if you're a right-of-centre voter who wants to demonstrate a rejection of Trump, but not necessarily the GOP?

If I was in a non-swing state (and if I was an American) I would vote for some kind of third-party or write-in candidate in order to send some kind of signal about my preferences.

If I was in a swing state I would vote for Biden.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2020, 08:28:59 PM

Well here is hoping. Biden is a different kind of crazy at least.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2020, 11:03:26 PM

What kind of crazy is Biden?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on April 19, 2020, 11:14:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2020, 11:03:26 PM

What kind of crazy is Biden?

He says weird shit and Bidens about but when it comes to actual policy and running the government he seems to know his stuff. The people who know him personally seem to like him and respect him, more than I can say for Donald.

I am way more concerned about him leading the party through an election than I am him leading an administration. I think he will do fine and basically be Obama's 3rd term.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2020, 11:20:20 PM
He says weird shit and Bidens about but when it comes to actual policy and running the government he seems to know his stuff. The people who know him personally seem to like him and respect him, more than I can say for Donald.

I am way more concerned about him leading the party through an election than I am him leading an administration. I think he will do fine and basically be Obama's 3rd term.
Saying weird shit makes you crazy now?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on April 19, 2020, 11:28:49 PM
Saying weird shit makes you crazy now?

Makes you sound crazy. Him going off about his hairy legs turning blond in the sun.

But crazy in a folksy "ol Uncle Joe" kind of way.

DGuller

What this sounds like to me is an over-eagerness to accept false balance narratives.