1 (1.8%)
ROTW: Third party
0 (0%)
ROTW: Null vote / won't vote
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on April 20, 2020, 12:15:00 AM
What this sounds like to me is an over-eagerness to accept false balance narratives.

Whatever.

The only really crazy people are those who will not vote for him in these circumstances.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2020, 09:07:25 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on April 19, 2020, 07:13:59 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 19, 2020, 06:38:56 PM
Not everyone lives in a swing state. A lot of votes for President are more or less wasted/unnecessary due to the way the system is set up. Appealing to the need for down ballot voting in non-swing states I think is a much better usage of time and effort than making blanket statements condemning anyone who doesn't vote Biden.

I agree as far as down ballot voting is concerned, or for populations for whom voting already comes with significant investment of resources. However, results are being, and will be, very much part of the political rhetoric in the upcoming election. There is a not insignificant possibility that Trump will undermine the very legitimacy of the election, and the legitimacy of the results. In these circumstances, there is a great symbolic value in sending numbers that overwhelmingly demonstrate a rejection of the GOP, and a greater symbolic value for conservatives to actually make that decision.

What if you're a right-of-centre voter who wants to demonstrate a rejection of Trump, but not necessarily the GOP?

If I was in a non-swing state (and if I was an American) I would vote for some kind of third-party or write-in candidate in order to send some kind of signal about my preferences.

If I was in a swing state I would vote for Biden.

On a national level, it doesn't appear that Trumpism and the Republican party are separable. Republican leaders will betray most values that Republicans hold dear.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2020, 09:07:25 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on April 19, 2020, 07:13:59 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 19, 2020, 06:38:56 PM
Not everyone lives in a swing state. A lot of votes for President are more or less wasted/unnecessary due to the way the system is set up. Appealing to the need for down ballot voting in non-swing states I think is a much better usage of time and effort than making blanket statements condemning anyone who doesn't vote Biden.

I agree as far as down ballot voting is concerned, or for populations for whom voting already comes with significant investment of resources. However, results are being, and will be, very much part of the political rhetoric in the upcoming election. There is a not insignificant possibility that Trump will undermine the very legitimacy of the election, and the legitimacy of the results. In these circumstances, there is a great symbolic value in sending numbers that overwhelmingly demonstrate a rejection of the GOP, and a greater symbolic value for conservatives to actually make that decision.

What if you're a right-of-centre voter who wants to demonstrate a rejection of Trump, but not necessarily the GOP?

Then you're insane.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2020, 01:15:50 AM
On a national level, it doesn't appear that Trumpism and the Republican party are separable. Republican leaders will betray most values that Republicans hold dear.
I think, by this point, it's reasonable to query what values Republicans hold dear. Even if they do run a "but Gorsuch" write-in campaign.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 19, 2020, 07:06:53 PM
What would those be? I mean - that would convince them in voting Democrat/against Trump.

Salesmanship is an art, not a science.  There are no 100% methods.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2020, 07:58:50 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on April 19, 2020, 07:06:53 PM
What would those be? I mean - that would convince them in voting Democrat/against Trump.

Salesmanship is an art, not a science.  There are no 100% methods.

Give me a sample.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 20, 2020, 10:12:24 AM
Give me a sample.

Me pitching Fredo not to rock climbing in North Jesus, Georgia.

Me pitching the stockistas to buy this dip.

Me pitching you to try friendly persuasion instead of scolding to move Speesh away from third party.  :P

Oexmelin

Yes. That is about you making points on social distancing, market advice, and internet conversation. I want to know how one can effectively convince Trump voters and Trump enablers not to vote for him. What sort of things that are important for them would you use to enact that conversion?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 20, 2020, 10:26:37 AM
Yes. That is about you making points on social distancing, market advice, and internet conversation. I want to know how one can effectively convince Trump voters and Trump enablers not to vote for him. What sort of things that are important for them would you use to enact that conversion?

I think the first step is to build some moral credibility.  To establish that you don't view them as the retarded enemy but as a misinformed person who is capable of making a better choice.

Oexmelin

Man, it's really like pulling teeth.

What form of misinformation would you emphasize with a Trump supporter, or with Derspeiss?

derspiess

Tell me Biden will appoint conservative USSC justices.  Or at least that we'll get more Corn Pop stories :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Oexmelin

Quote from: derspiess on April 20, 2020, 11:17:22 AM
Tell me Biden will appoint conservative USSC justices.  Or at least that we'll get more Corn Pop stories :D

So that is the acceptable price for a Trump government? It's all about Conservative justices?

garbon

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 20, 2020, 11:20:29 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 20, 2020, 11:17:22 AM

So that is the acceptable price for a Trump government? It's all about Conservative justices?

I'd like to understand beyond wanting conservative justices for the sake of having them, what are the policies prevented or rolled back that every-day Republicans (aka the voters) would like to see that they see justices as sure fire protection for.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I thought judges were suppose to be impartial.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 20, 2020, 11:15:41 AM
Man, it's really like pulling teeth.

What form of misinformation would you emphasize with a Trump supporter, or with Derspeiss?

Only if you insisst on pulling.  ;)

What kind of misinformation would *you* emphasize?  Surely you have as much insight on psychology, party loyalty, political issues, group identity, and ideology as I do.

There is no magic formula.  I merely said the success rate from persuasion might be higher than the success rate from shaming.