ROTW: Trump
1 (1.8%)
ROTW: Third party
0 (0%)
ROTW: Null vote / won't vote
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Eddie Teach

Voting for anyone not named Donald Trump(or not voting at all) does literally nothing to help Trump get elected.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

I've voted third party in every Presidential election I've been old enough to vote in as I live in New York State and know it will go blue. I am unsure if this is the year I change that though if only to express my extreme hate of the current occupant of the White House. I really don't like Biden, but I'll be damned if Trump staying won't be immensely worse for everyone.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Minsky Moment

At risk of restating the obvious tautological point, doing anything other than voting for Biden in November will make it incrementally more likely that Trump will win, as opposed to the alternative of voting for Biden. If one is OK with that, OK but them's the hard facts.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

fromtia

A quick disclaimer, after 23 years of living in the United States, I still have not become a citizen so I won't actually be voting. If I were however it would be Biden.

I liked Sanders, Warren and Yang to a lesser extent and hoped they would all do well in the primary. I don't care for Biden at all and there's some obvious problems with him as a candidate, but we have to get Trump out of the whitehouse as a matter of urgency and the Republicans as far away from government as we can wherever possible.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 19, 2020, 12:31:31 PM
At risk of restating the obvious tautological point, doing anything other than voting for Biden in November will make it incrementally more likely that Trump will win, as opposed to the alternative of voting for Biden. If one is OK with that, OK but them's the hard facts.
Sorry, the point may be tautological, but it's not contrarian enough, so it can't be right.

Eddie Teach

Attacking neutrals is a good way to create opponents.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 19, 2020, 02:51:07 PM
Attacking neutrals is a good way to create opponents.

Don't see how. They are already not voting for Biden. They are childish if pointing out the issues with that makes them spite vote for Trump.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Well, I was making a broader point, but even in this particular case that's hardly a refutation. People ARE childish.

Admiral Yi

I think the broader point Eddie was making is that shaming is often not the most effective means of persuasion.

Oexmelin

At this point, what would be the best means of persuasion?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

Maths?
Biden = 2 votes against Trump
Other = 1 vote against Trump
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

If someone is not persuaded to vote against Trump (not just abstaining, but against) at this point, there isn't much that will convince them.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on April 19, 2020, 05:16:48 PM
Maths?
Biden = 2 votes against Trump
Other = 1 vote against Trump
Exactly.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 19, 2020, 05:10:53 PM
At this point, what would be the best means of persuasion?

Something that appeals to their core values I would say.

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 19, 2020, 12:31:31 PM

It really isn't that difficult is it, JR.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"