And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Trek Picard and Strange New Worlds

Started by Josephus, January 23, 2020, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Terrible, nonsensical and contradictory ending

Tonitrus

Hmm, yeah...I may have lost count of the deus ex machina's. 

Barrister

I know you should expect spoilers in this thread, but just to be doubly safe...

[spoiler]Yeah, so what's the point of killing Picard, but bringing his character back as an android with all of Picard's memories?

I mean, I guess that might be a big part of the storyline for season 2, but it otherwise felt really cheap.  They give Stewart a big tragic death scene, but then reverse it moments later.
[/spoiler]
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

My wife started watching the show but eventually was just "screw this I would rather just watch the original TNG" which she has been doing. Probably not a good sign since she is such a TNG fan.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Interesting vulcans aren't from vulcan ending.

But the whole fleet showing up just like that... Doesn't really make sense. Very Abrams movies style.

Tis very thoroughly meh. I place it in competition with TOS for worst trek.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

It was shit. Despite having Patrick Stewart in it.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on March 28, 2020, 02:55:46 PM
I place it in competition with TOS for worst trek.

:mad:

I, sir, demand satisfaction for this outrageous remark!

Tonitrus

Especially with Voyager out there.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 28, 2020, 05:03:22 PM

:secret: Enterprise.  Though not a huge Voyager fan.

Tonitrus

I cannot judge Enterprise, as I stopped watching it part way into the first season, and never found any motivation to come back to it.  :P

Tonitrus

Overall, for the season as a whole, I thought it started strong...dragged a bit, then ended in a thud.

At least, I suppose, they wrapped the plot up and didn't go the cliffhanger route...but what are they supposed to be doing for S2-3? [spoiler] Robo-Picard as Hannibal of the 24th-century A-Team?[/spoiler]

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2020, 05:04:08 PM

At least enterprise gets better.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2020, 05:16:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2020, 05:04:08 PM

At least enterprise gets better.

I could never really get into Enterprise, even when I've tried on streaming.  Voyager started good, though I checked out before the end.

What impresses me is no one is suggesting Discovery is the worst.  I still quite liked it. :)

Josquius

Though with time voyager has dropped from my favourite trek I still maintain it was good and I really don't get the hate.

TOS is basically just an American Dr Who. Wacky adventure of the week in a radically inconsistent make it up as you go along universe.
I respect it for what it is and it's importance for the development of the genre. But putting aside all that and watching it neutrally... It just isn't the best.

For a while in this last episode of Picard I thought at first they had ran an excellent trick on us with all Stewarts talk of series 2 being misdirection
██████
██████
██████