Main Menu

Star Trek Picard and Strange New Worlds

Started by Josephus, January 23, 2020, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 28, 2020, 01:31:40 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 28, 2020, 01:00:18 PM
Keeps getting better.

Loved yesterday's episode. Everything's coming to a head with four episodes to go.

Agreed.  Now that the world has been created they are moving on with the story.  Last episode was great.  The last line was a great way to end the episode. "Please, my friends, choose to live"

Yep. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Woah....that was a moving episode. [spoiler]Good to see Riker and Troi back. One of the things I'm not enjoying this season, though, is realizing how much they, and by extension, me, are aging. Marina looks nothing like Troi season one. Frakes has put on the pounds. [/spoiler]

Only one thing I'm confused with is why the new cyber girl, hasn't quite accepted her fate as quickly as her sister, who once she was activated knew she had to find Picard. This one, doesnt' seem to know, or trust him.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Crazy_Ivan80

nostalgia bomb that last one...

crazy canuck

Yeah, I thought she was going to get the same message and then have the distrust she is showing because she knows her memories are not real - her sister did not have the benefit of learning that before she died.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2020, 04:14:00 PM
Yeah, I thought she was going to get the same message and then have the distrust she is showing because she knows her memories are not real - her sister did not have the benefit of learning that before she died.

Yeah, that's how it seemed to me too.

I also appreciate that they are able to run this show with some of the old cast making cameos and because of story can be unapologetic about the changes in appearance due to age.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the show. It is too much just Picard's grand fan service tour.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2020, 01:03:41 PM
Have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the show. It is too much just Picard's grand fan service tour.

The character's name is right there in the title...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Great episode

Love that all sides think they are in the right

garbon

They definitely amped up the tension. Glad they finally made the villains a bit sympathetic.

Josquius

One thing I'm finding odd is it's really based around the same plot idea as the last series of discovery. AI threat leading to the end of civilization. Wonder whether the two will meet- what with discovery being flung into the future at the end of the last series
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2020, 02:53:14 PM
One thing I'm finding odd is it's really based around the same plot idea as the last series of discovery. AI threat leading to the end of civilization. Wonder whether the two will meet- what with discovery being flung into the future at the end of the last series

Good point. I think there will be a plot-meet at some point.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2020, 01:11:19 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2020, 01:03:41 PM

The character's name is right there in the title...

Except it's not him. It's just his name. A cardboard Picard cutout surrounded by fan service.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

In what way is it not the same character?

About the last episode [spoiler]looks like Data and Lore made it into the gene pool[/spoiler]

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 20, 2020, 01:22:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyGGW3tqNPY

RLM guys explain it better than I could.

Do I want to spend over and hour listening to some jackasses? Probs not.