Main Menu

Star Trek Picard and Strange New Worlds

Started by Josephus, January 23, 2020, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 20, 2020, 12:12:28 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 20, 2020, 12:10:54 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 20, 2020, 10:49:29 AM
I am just still bitter that Picard is breaking the Trek formula.

Explain

The episodes are not self contained. There is no fun episode arc, only a season arc.

Discovery is a bit like that too.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

I think that is just Discovery/Picard sharing in the overall trend in television shows that have moved to longer/season arcs instead of episodic plots.  Nothing unique here.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 20, 2020, 12:48:54 PM
I think that is just Discovery/Picard sharing in the overall trend in television shows that have moved to longer/season arcs instead of episodic plots.  Nothing unique here.

Agreed.  And it helps that I prefer this form of story telling.  I much prefer the Expanse/B5/Discovery season/multiseason arc.  If you want self contained episodes only connected by different things happening to the same people every episode then this is not for you.

If you like more in depth story telling, this is definitely for you.

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on February 20, 2020, 12:13:00 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 20, 2020, 12:06:22 PM
It's boring, guys. You are allowed to say it.

Yep. My brother dislikes it and he's an ST addict. That's enough for me to steer clear.
patience is required.
Not many sci fi shows were great on their first few episodes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Liked the last episode.  Even had a contained story within the arc.
Disappointed Seven's not going to be a regular.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Unsurprisingly, I liked this one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on February 21, 2020, 10:08:33 AM
Liked the last episode.  Even had a contained story within the arc.
Disappointed Seven's not going to be a regular.

Same here.  I thought it would end boringly, in a Startrekish kind of way, but I was pleasantly surprised :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maladict

viper37

Josephus

Quote from: Maladict on February 21, 2020, 02:16:38 PM
Guys, spoilers  <_<

I don't understand. Why would anybody read a thread called Star Trek Picard and be surprised to see people discussing the show?
Civis Romanus Sum

Maladict

Quote from: Josephus on February 21, 2020, 06:19:04 PM
Guys, spoilers  <_<

I don't understand. Why would anybody read a thread called Star Trek Picard and be surprised to see people discussing the show?

Just surprised at people not using spoiler tags for episodes that were released just a day or two ago.
The Star Wars thread looks like the Mueller Report, what's different here?

Josephus

Quote from: Maladict on February 22, 2020, 08:02:15 AM
Guys, spoilers  <_<

Just surprised at people not using spoiler tags for episodes that were released just a day or two ago.

See, I haven't been inside the Star Wars thread because I'm the one guy here who hasn't seen it yet :D

But yeah, fair enough.

Civis Romanus Sum

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on February 22, 2020, 09:37:25 AM
Guys, spoilers  <_<

See, I haven't been inside the Star Wars thread because I'm the one guy here who hasn't seen it yet :D

But yeah, fair enough.

I haven't seen it either.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 22, 2020, 10:55:18 AM
Guys, spoilers  <_<

But yeah, fair enough.

You can live the rest of your life being happy, or you can see it.  Your choice.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on February 22, 2020, 02:33:33 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 22, 2020, 10:55:18 AM
Guys, spoilers  <_<

But yeah, fair enough.

You can live the rest of your life being happy, or you can see it.  Your choice.

blu ray out next month. I don't go to theatres anymore...i don't like having my movie experience ruined by other humans
Civis Romanus Sum