Star Trek Picard and Strange New Worlds

Started by Josephus, January 23, 2020, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.
I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 04:21:16 PM
Apparently they've changed Captain Picard's favourite drink! :o

[spoiler]Apparently he now orders "Tea, earl grey, decaf"[/spoiler]

Those monsters!

He's old. If he takes caffeine after a certain point in the day, he won't sleep.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Anyway. Season 1 ep 1 rated five out of five for me. I thought it was very good.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

I'm rewatching all of TNG and probably the TNG-era movies before I watch Picard. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

4 out of 5.

What I liked the most of Star Trek was the episodes had conclusion. This one, not really.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 24, 2020, 10:04:24 AM
4 out of 5.

What I liked the most of Star Trek was the episodes had conclusion. This one, not really.

WELL, I think they're taking the episodic route with this one.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on January 24, 2020, 09:04:30 AM
Anyway. Season 1 ep 1 rated five out of five for me. I thought it was very good.

Agreed.  I really like the new Star Trek vibe and the move away from the saccharine universe prior to Discovery. [spoiler]Loved the interview and Picard denouncing Star Fleet for losing its way.
Also love the exposing the fear other storyline.[/spoiler]
I want you to panic

https://www.theguardian.com/science/video/2019/jan/25/i-want-you-to-panic-16-year-old-greta-thunberg-issues-climate-warning-at-davos-video

"Woke" is now almost exclusively used by those who seek to deride it, those who chafe at the activism from which it sprang. Opponents to the idea are seeking to render it toxic. They use it to stand in for change itself, for evolution, for an accurate assessment of history and society that makes them uncomfortable and deflates their hagiographic view of American history.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on January 24, 2020, 09:04:30 AM
Anyway. Season 1 ep 1 rated five out of five for me. I thought it was very good.


Something bugs me... as the Romulan soldier looks like he's spitting blood that destroys the human android and the gun...  Could have been something else though, maybe some kind of capsule he bit knowing it would be the end.

The rest has been explained in the episode, or will be in the future, so I'm ok with it.
I don't do meditation.
I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

Tonitrus

#23
I'll say very good...a 5/5, but was kinda disappointed in that by the end, [spoiler] after seeing that the female protagonist was an android of some sort (so a few minutes in)...and that she had a Data/daughter connection, that this series wasn't going to be "The Wrath of Lal".  :P[/spoiler]

Barrister

So I don't know...

I mean, it was awesome to see Patrick Stewart "back in the saddle" so to speak.  The production values here are quite high - the show looks miles better than TNG ever did.

But it seems... kind of formulaic?  Mystery girl with ass-kicking powers shows up needing help?  This episode wasn't nearly as "cerebral" as we were led to believe.

Although I think I recognized the problem:

QuoteAkiva Goldsman   ...   executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)

https://film.avclub.com/from-the-dark-tower-to-batman-robin-crappy-blockbust-1798264841

There's no chance I'm not watching this, but I'm ready to be disappointed.
Quote from: crazy canuckBB's treatment is consistent with one who defends positions taken by the conservative wing of the Conservatives.

garbon

Do they generally [spoiler] kill the bad ass girl seeking help? [/SPOILER]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on January 24, 2020, 03:35:00 PM
Do they generally [spoiler] kill the bad ass girl seeking help? [/SPOILER]

[spoiler]But then there's another one[/spoiler]
Quote from: crazy canuckBB's treatment is consistent with one who defends positions taken by the conservative wing of the Conservatives.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2020, 03:36:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 24, 2020, 03:35:00 PM
Do they generally [spoiler] kill the bad ass girl seeking help? [/SPOILER]

[spoiler]But then there's another one[/spoiler]

[spoiler] Who hasn't sought help. Also explains some of the - she's activating. [/SPOILER]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2020, 03:01:21 PM
So I don't know...

I mean, it was awesome to see Patrick Stewart "back in the saddle" so to speak.  The production values here are quite high - the show looks miles better than TNG ever did.

But it seems... kind of formulaic?  Mystery girl with ass-kicking powers shows up needing help?  This episode wasn't nearly as "cerebral" as we were led to believe.

Although I think I recognized the problem:

QuoteAkiva Goldsman   ...   executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)

https://film.avclub.com/from-the-dark-tower-to-batman-robin-crappy-blockbust-1798264841

There's no chance I'm not watching this, but I'm ready to be disappointed.

Yeah the episode had some little great moments (his interactions with data, for example, or the character moments with the romulans and even his dog) interspeded with some really trite storytelling. I want to think it's just 'first episode syndrome' and the writers feeling pressured to introduce some thrills to hook audiences from the onset.

The show has Akiva Goldsman, but also a Pullitzer Prize winner (Chabon). Will see who wins out!

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on January 24, 2020, 05:21:13 PM
Yeah the episode had some little great moments (his interactions with data, for example, or the character moments with the romulans and even his dog) interspeded with some really trite storytelling. I want to think it's just 'first episode syndrome' and the writers feeling pressured to introduce some thrills to hook audiences from the onset.

The show has Akiva Goldsman, but also a Pullitzer Prize winner (Chabon). Will see who wins out!

Chabon is out for season 2 (wants to work on getting his movie produced).

Oh I'll definitely keep watching.  I mean I won't watch just anything - I never did watch Enterprise, and I petered out on Voyager, but I'll definitely give this show a good, long try.
Quote from: crazy canuckBB's treatment is consistent with one who defends positions taken by the conservative wing of the Conservatives.