News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Trek Picard and Strange New Worlds

Started by Josephus, January 23, 2020, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Granted, it takes a LONG time to point out everything wrong with this show. Heh.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2020, 01:31:58 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 20, 2020, 01:22:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyGGW3tqNPY

RLM guys explain it better than I could.

Do I want to spend over and hour listening to some jackasses? Probs not.

Yet you spend hours posting with us :hug:

I enjoy RLM but yeah they can make ridiculously long video essays about silly cultural things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

That's literally the reason they exist--to make video essays about silly cultural things. If you're not into it, you're not into it, but criticizing the mere existence is a bit weird.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on March 20, 2020, 03:32:59 PM
That's literally the reason they exist--to make video essays about silly cultural things. If you're not into it, you're not into it, but criticizing the mere existence is a bit weird.

Oh I am into it :blush:

But I get how most normal people don't have time for that :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Up until this last episode, I've been enjoying the series. 

Now I think it's kinda bad.

[spoiler]Unkown Soong's son, who is essentially just like his dad on a planet of yogie-Datas?  Ugh.[/spoiler]

viper37

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 20, 2020, 05:05:22 PM
Up until this last episode, I've been enjoying the series. 

Now I think it's kinda bad.

[spoiler]Unkown Soong's son, who is essentially just like his dad on a planet of yogie-Datas?  Ugh.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
For some reason, all Soong look alike.  Remember Entrerprise.  Maybe they are all clones.  ;) [/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Yeah, it pains me to say it but this show isn't too good. I had big hopes for new Trek in this golden age of serialized TV, but so far it hasn't delivered.

garbon

Is the Soong thing really that problematic?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2020, 05:36:23 AM

Nah, I'm not that much of a geek to care for those things. I just think there's way too much fan service and the story hasn't been interesting. Take out the fact it is Star Trek and the show doesn't have much on its own.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on March 22, 2020, 05:40:11 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2020, 05:36:23 AM

Nah, I'm not that much of a geek to care for those things. I just think there's way too much fan service and the story hasn't been interesting. Take out the fact it is Star Trek and the show doesn't have much on its own.

Fair. I mean it is a rather simple story that has been expanded over quite a fair amount of episodes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

I agree that's fair comment. I mean, if it wasn't appealing to the fan base, the whole episode at Riker's house was pointless, and it is a simple story. But still enjoyable for us old Trekkers.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Knight Commander of the Illustrious Nerd Order awarded to Jo Jo for calling himself a Trekker and not a Trekky.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2020, 02:53:23 PM
Knight Commander of the Illustrious Nerd Order awarded to Jo Jo for calling himself a Trekker and not a Trekky.

:)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on March 22, 2020, 08:31:15 AM
I agree that's fair comment. I mean, if it wasn't appealing to the fan base, the whole episode at Riker's house was pointless, and it is a simple story. But still enjoyable for us old Trekkers.

Like most such appearances there are moments of "Oh it's him! I wonder if they'll be there too....? There they are! Swee!" but this doesn't last long.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on March 22, 2020, 03:14:38 AM
Yeah, it pains me to say it but this show isn't too good. I had big hopes for new Trek in this golden age of serialized TV, but so far it hasn't delivered.

It's Mass Effect in the Star Trek universe
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.