Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 14, 2022, 04:55:08 AM

My wife has opened a "field kitchen" of sorts where she cooks hearty Japanese food and delivers it to our sick friends who're locked in isolation (for free, obviously).

Share recipes!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 14, 2022, 02:19:17 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 14, 2022, 10:56:15 AM
The extent to which people have stopped caring is simply amazing.
So many in shops without masks.
My GF as mentioned works in a school. Overheard a teacher, a woman in charge of a class of 8 year olds, saying she hopes she gets covid soon so she gets a week off. Everyone going around without masks and just not caring or even actively chasing covid.
Meanwhile we have a unvaccinated kid and are dreading it getting to him.

I agree on the lack of caring.
Offices are mostly closed, bit all schools are open...

I agree with both of you.

Not happy about having to do 300+ miles on trains and around 140 miles on buses over the last 5 days, but at least most people were masking up on board.

Save of course for the 15-20 something boys/ young men who are just way too cool to have us masks.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 14, 2022, 02:19:17 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 14, 2022, 10:56:15 AM
The extent to which people have stopped caring is simply amazing.
So many in shops without masks.
My GF as mentioned works in a school. Overheard a teacher, a woman in charge of a class of 8 year olds, saying she hopes she gets covid soon so she gets a week off. Everyone going around without masks and just not caring or even actively chasing covid.
Meanwhile we have a unvaccinated kid and are dreading it getting to him.

I agree on the lack of caring.

Went to the town center of Geneva today for the first time in several weeks. Was shocked by how many people are mixing together in the streets, bus stops, cafes, and so on. Hardly anyone is wearing masks...

Offices are mostly closed, bit all schools are open...

Oh. You live in Geneva?

The Swiss really do seem to be leading the way in fuck wittery on covid. I went back in summer and it was very strange, like covid just wasn't a thing.
Albeit worse in the German part- a friend was somewhere up there at a petrol station where he was actively told he had to take off his mask.
Everyone in the UK knows a few anti vax idiots but they seem far more common in Switzerland. Even amongst people where better is really expected.
██████
██████
██████

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Tyr on January 14, 2022, 06:55:44 PM

Oh. You live in Geneva?

The Swiss really do seem to be leading the way in fuck wittery on covid. I went back in summer and it was very strange, like covid just wasn't a thing.
Albeit worse in the German part- a friend was somewhere up there at a petrol station where he was actively told he had to take off his mask.
Everyone in the UK knows a few anti vax idiots but they seem far more common in Switzerland. Even amongst people where better is really expected.

Yeah, we eventually moved from Osaka to Geneva, for the sake of kids education. My wife was adamantly against the Japanese system, and I didn't assess the Russian system as adequate for the modern world.

I agree with you, it's surreal here.

Most of my friends and colleagues are fully vaccinated, with a notable exception of very few Swiss folks we know, who believe they're exercising their constitutional rights by rejecting the vaccine. They still join all our drinking parties and gatherings, living their lives as if the pandemic doesn't exist. They're mildly annoyed at other countries who don't let them enter...

Their concerns are mostly medical, as far as I know. E.g. they know someone's friend's neighbour's nephew's dog sitter who died after getting vaccinated.

garbon

So Djokovic lost his appeal and will be deported for concerns of Australian officials that he would inflame anti-vax sentiment in Australia. :nelson:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

It's a satirical account. I like how they try to troll multiple countries at once (Serbia vs Bosnia, Austria/Australia, Serbia/Russia). :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

In Austria, the overwhelming majority of infections take place within families and households (someone is infected, then infects their close contacts); not much of a surprise. In second place at about 15% are leisure activities. And out of those 80% are traced back to après ski in skiing resorts.

No surprise considering videos like this: https://twitter.com/passtscho2/status/1482443339458822147
—Stephen Jay Gould

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Syt on January 16, 2022, 03:46:53 AM
It's a satirical account. I like how they try to troll multiple countries at once (Serbia vs Bosnia, Austria/Australia, Serbia/Russia). :)

Yeah, we have similar ones, trolling everyone. The scary thing is, some people actually believe them... :wacko:

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Syt on January 16, 2022, 04:14:11 AM
In Austria, the overwhelming majority of infections take place within families and households (someone is infected, then infects their close contacts); not much of a surprise. In second place at about 15% are leisure activities. And out of those 80% are traced back to après ski in skiing resorts.

No surprise considering videos like this: https://twitter.com/passtscho2/status/1482443339458822147

No surprise indeed. We're just back from a Swiss ski resort. You have to wear a mask in town — a policeman would politely remind you to put it on — but you can party in a bar just like that.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2022, 02:11:15 AM
So Djokovic lost his appeal and will be deported for concerns of Australian officials that he would inflame anti-vax sentiment in Australia. :nelson:
:lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Trending among anti-vaxxers and mask refusers in Germany/Austria "#IchbinStaatsfeind" (I am an enemy of the state)
:bleeding:
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Gaijin de Moscu on January 16, 2022, 04:14:31 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 16, 2022, 03:46:53 AM

Yeah, we have similar ones, trolling everyone. The scary thing is, some people actually believe them... :wacko:
Pravda.ru?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: viper37 on January 16, 2022, 01:55:33 PM

Pravda.ru?

Does it still exist? :)

But no — Panorama: https://panorama.pub/

For example, one of their articles: "US threatens to disconnect Russia from Bitcoin."