Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

I now more sick people than ever right now. Happily everyone seems ok, just really sick for a bit.
humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

Yep it is affected a lot more people within the circles I know - which successfully avoided infection in past waves.

celedhring

Yeah, many more people in my close circles have been affected this time around.

I haven't been infected yet - that I know of. No symptoms whatsoever.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on January 11, 2022, 04:04:23 AM
Quote from: viper37 on January 07, 2022, 04:32:21 PM
Pfizer recipients have a 0,013% probability of developing hurtful unintended consequences with the vaccines.  It really sucks when it falls onto you.
That seems low to me.
Yes, the feeling like shit for a few days does suck. But it's better than the alternative.

I was referring to serious conditions, like a blood clot.  The feeling for shit for a couple of days happens a lot more often.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

I think we had a conversation earlier about the public health scientists in your country. Over here it's mainly been Chris Whitty (the Chief Medical Officer for England) and his deputy Jonathan Van Tam - who has been particularly big on some pretty extended metaphors but has been a really really good communicator.

Van Tam has now announced he's stepping down (he was on secondment/loan to government from his university since 2017). ITV put together a collection of his metaphors:
https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1481608305634066437?s=20

I think they've actually missed a couple of football ones, which is a shame - but there were a lot :lol:

As someone on Twitter put it, in terms JVT would appreciate, it's like we're subbing off a creative midfielder when we still need a goal :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

In a space of 24 hours I have had about a dozen friends and relatives report either positive tests or very suspicious symptoms. I think Omicron is raging through Hungary now.

jimmy olsen

Daughter and me came down with something. But she's tested negative twice now and it seems like it's just a sinus infection. Stressful.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 13, 2022, 09:51:47 PM
Daughter and me came down with something. But she's tested negative twice now and it seems like it's just a sinus infection. Stressful.

My son came down with something flu-like (COVID-like?) back in October after starting preschool and passed it to all of us. Coughing and low fever. But all our tests were negative for COVID. Still, pretty stressful. Even a persistent cough sucks these days. Hang in there!  :hug:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Tamas on January 13, 2022, 04:01:01 PM
In a space of 24 hours I have had about a dozen friends and relatives report either positive tests or very suspicious syndromes. I think Omicron is raging through Hungary now.

Same here in Switzerland. Entire families of my friends are coming down with Covid. Despite up to 3 vaccinations, their symptoms are sometimes highly unpleasant.

I've never had so many colleagues and friends sick at once.

My wife has opened a "field kitchen" of sorts where she cooks hearty Japanese food and delivers it to our sick friends who're locked in isolation (for free, obviously).

Tamas

One relative (in her 60s I think?) is having very unpleasant symptoms indeed, first indication for her that something was up was getting so sick she ended up throwing up.

But, as a Hungarian article pointed out, people should probably understand that (in Hungary at least) "mild symptoms" in doctor lingo includes things which probably scare people, like high fever.

Josquius

The extent to which people have stopped caring is simply amazing.
So many in shops without masks.
My GF as mentioned works in a school. Overheard a teacher, a woman in charge of a class of 8 year olds, saying she hopes she gets covid soon so she gets a week off. Everyone going around without masks and just not caring or even actively chasing covid.
Meanwhile we have a unvaccinated kid and are dreading it getting to him.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Quote from: Tamas on January 13, 2022, 04:01:01 PM
In a space of 24 hours I have had about a dozen friends and relatives report either positive tests or very suspicious symptoms. I think Omicron is raging through Hungary now.

Yeah same here it's rapidly on it's way to infecting the majority here in the next few weeks. Never seen anything like it. It's a juggling act to keep schools, health services and power plants operational at this point. :hmm: Even given it's mildness when running through a vaccinated and boosted population, hospital services are very strained right now.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Legbiter on January 14, 2022, 11:33:22 AM
Yeah same here it's rapidly on it's way to infecting the majority here in the next few weeks. Never seen anything like it. It's a juggling act to keep schools, health services and power plants operational at this point. :hmm: Even given it's mildness when running through a vaccinated and boosted population, hospital services are very strained right now.
The only positive is that what happened in South Africa where it spiked very dramatically and then fell just as fast, seems to be happening here:

I don't know why that is (there are some restrictions in the nations here at different levels but not significant ones, South Africa didn't change their policy) but it looks like it's a feature of omicron waves, not something unique to South Africa.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2022, 11:43:37 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on January 14, 2022, 11:33:22 AM
The only positive is that what happened in South Africa where it spiked very dramatically and then fell just as fast, seems to be happening here:

I don't know why that is (there are some restrictions in the nations here at different levels but not significant ones, South Africa didn't change their policy) but it looks like it's a feature of omicron waves, not something unique to South Africa.

Ours numbers are spiking again, four weeks after (semi)lockdown started. I don't think any measures will be enough against this variant.

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Tyr on January 14, 2022, 10:56:15 AM
The extent to which people have stopped caring is simply amazing.
So many in shops without masks.
My GF as mentioned works in a school. Overheard a teacher, a woman in charge of a class of 8 year olds, saying she hopes she gets covid soon so she gets a week off. Everyone going around without masks and just not caring or even actively chasing covid.
Meanwhile we have a unvaccinated kid and are dreading it getting to him.

I agree on the lack of caring.

Went to the town center of Geneva today for the first time in several weeks. Was shocked by how many people are mixing together in the streets, bus stops, cafes, and so on. Hardly anyone is wearing masks...

Offices are mostly closed, bit all schools are open...