Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaijin de Moscu

A memory from another pandemic: a San-Francisco policeman detains people for not wearing a mask in public during the Spanish Flu outbreak, 1918.

This one will pass, too...

Jacob

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 25, 2022, 08:22:26 AM
Simply deranged. What does he think he's accomplishing?

Hoping to put pressure on a public platform to implement some level of policy to control misinformation on their platform? Seems pretty reasonable, though he probably doesn't have the clout to do it by himself... on the other hand, maybe he doesn't care that much about his Spotify revenue.

frunk

Quote from: Jacob on January 25, 2022, 05:10:10 PM

Hoping to put pressure on a public platform to implement some level of policy to control misinformation on their platform? Seems pretty reasonable, though he probably doesn't have the clout to do it by himself... on the other hand, maybe he doesn't care that much about his Spotify revenue.

The problem is, if the revenue is low enough that Neil Young doesn't care about the Spotify revenue Spotify probably cares even less.

Jacob

Quote from: frunk on January 25, 2022, 05:26:41 PM
The problem is, if the revenue is low enough that Neil Young doesn't care about the Spotify revenue Spotify probably cares even less.

Yeah for sure.

Eddie Teach

He's mainly just keeping the public from listening to his music. His prerogative, I guess.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

37373 new cases in Austria (a record), of which 12121 are in Vienna. At least the numbers are pleasingly palindromic.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I think it's more about calling Spotify out publicly than an intent of putting real financial pressure on them.

Taylor Swift took her music out of Spotify and they didn't bat an eyelid (and eventually she came back to them). Of course they won't care about Neil Young.

Syt

On a related note, Spotify was recently called out (mildly) in German media for giving a platform for far right podcasts and musicians. They removed some neonazi content creators from the platform previously, but they seem to be quite inconsistent with it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Syt on January 26, 2022, 03:13:03 AM
37373 new cases in Austria (a record), of which 12121 are in Vienna. At least the numbers are pleasingly palindromic.

Whoa.

We're far from the record numbers here in Switzerland, although yesterday's 22,240 new cases is still a lot for our small country.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 26, 2022, 03:57:06 AM

I think it's more about calling Spotify out publicly than an intent of putting real financial pressure on them.

Taylor Swift took her music out of Spotify and they didn't bat an eyelid (and eventually she came back to them). Of course they won't care about Neil Young.

In this particular case it puts more of a focus on Rogan's podcast, which has already caused a group of US health professionals to label him as a danger against public safety due to his spreading of misinformation regarding Covid and giving a voice to anti-vaxer conspiracy theorists.

It has to be mentioned that Rogan's podcast is the world's most listened podcast and it is exclusive to Spotify, so there's a point in targeting Spotify to pressure them to act on it.

Iormlund

So, day three of Covid and I'm experiencing something I haven't read about: sensitive skin in neck, torso and arms. No rashes or other lesions apparent on visual inspection.

The other symptoms (mild fever, sore throat, occasional cough, headache) seem to have almost gone and this new one appeared. Perhaps some sort of autoimmune reaction?  :hmm:

bogh

So we've had 30-50k confirmed cases per day here for the past weeks (0.5-1% of the general populace per day confirmed infected - about 5% a week). With widespread vaccination coverage (three shots for most adults, two for a lot of kids from 5 years and up) and omicron dominant, hospital admissions are dropping despite the massive spread.

It really is rampant and I've just recovered from it myself (had a few days of nasty flu, wife and kids got off much easier). Government will probably remove all restrictions by the end of January.  This feels like the end of the public health crisis in Denmark as most of us end up triple vaccinated and infected, barring a very nasty mutation.

Tamas

Here is a Hungarian study on the Sinopharm vaccine: https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12879-022-07069-z

QuoteResults
Sex and time since the second dose had little association with the antibody titres. Age, however, was highly relevant: measurable antibody levels were present in about 90% of individuals below the age of 50, but antibody production after BBIBP-CorV vaccination was strongly reduced with increasing age. A large number of elderly subjects, reaching 25% at 60 years, and up to 50% at ages over 80, were found not to produce any protective antibody.

Conclusions
RBD-specific antibody titre, as a correlate of protection for COVID-19 disease susceptibility, should help to evaluate the effectiveness of the BBIBP-CorV vaccine. Results suggest that proper measures should be undertaken to prevent a potential outbreak of COVID-19 in BBIBP-CorV vaccinated but eventually unprotected elderly individuals

Sheilbh

Quote from: bogh on January 26, 2022, 04:57:28 AMIt really is rampant and I've just recovered from it myself (had a few days of nasty flu, wife and kids got off much easier). Government will probably remove all restrictions by the end of January.  This feels like the end of the public health crisis in Denmark as most of us end up triple vaccinated and infected, barring a very nasty mutation.
Basically the same here and I think it's the way we'll all end up going - vaccinations for people who want them (plus winter variant-specific vaccinations), omicron (unless a really nasty variant emerges) just circulates like all of the other infectious diseases do and we'll occasionally get infected and re-infected but it'll generally be mild (if we're vaccinated) and there'll be more anti-virals available.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: bogh on January 26, 2022, 04:57:28 AM
So we've had 30-50k confirmed cases per day here for the past weeks (0.5-1% of the general populace per day confirmed infected - about 5% a week). With widespread vaccination coverage (three shots for most adults, two for a lot of kids from 5 years and up) and omicron dominant, hospital admissions are dropping despite the massive spread.

It really is rampant and I've just recovered from it myself (had a few days of nasty flu, wife and kids got off much easier). Government will probably remove all restrictions by the end of January.  This feels like the end of the public health crisis in Denmark as most of us end up triple vaccinated and infected, barring a very nasty mutation.

Exactly the same situation here in Iceland. Restrictions will be gone, the only question is how soon. There will be some low level endemic spread but this is no longer a crisis.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.