News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2021, 08:32:02 AM
Vienna has scheduled a vaccination appointment for all non-vaccinated people and sent them invitation letters with additional information material addressing the common worries of anti-vaxxers. They're asked to cancel the appointment if they still don't want to get vaccinated. I ... am not sure how this will go. :lol:
It maybe actually be somewhat effective, it sounds like this is soft paternalism.  There must be some people who just can't be bothered to make an effort to get vaccinated, but also can't be bothered to make an effort to cancel a vaccination appointment.  It's like companies automatically deducting 6% of the income to 401k, because a lot of people can neither be bothered to set the percentage themselves, nor to change the percentage that someone else set for them.

Syt

I agree it may be useful to rope some in, but some who can't be bothered, might just ignore it and be a no-show. And the "true" anti-vaxxers will of course just ignore the whole thing. Well, not ignore, they will scream and shout (we will have another demonstration this Saturday ...), but you know what I mean. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2021, 09:31:10 AM
I agree it may be useful to rope some in, but some who can't be bothered, might just ignore it and be a no-show. And the "true" anti-vaxxers will of course just ignore the whole thing. Well, not ignore, they will scream and shout (we will have another demonstration this Saturday ...), but you know what I mean. :P
Yeah, the complication is that someone has to not care to cancel the appointment, but still care enough to show up.  As a leading expert on inertia and procrastination, it's my professional opinion that it may still work often enough to be worth the bother.

Agelastus

Quote from: DGuller on November 18, 2021, 09:36:52 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2021, 09:31:10 AM
Yeah, the complication is that someone has to not care to cancel the appointment, but still care enough to show up.  As a leading expert on inertia and procrastination, it's my professional opinion that it may still work often enough to be worth the bother.

As another expert (on a personal basis) regarding inertia and procrastination I concur with this opinion.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Admiral Yi

You guys must have a lot of focus and drive to become such experts and inertia and procrastination.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2021, 10:00:59 AM
You guys must have a lot of focus and drive to become such experts and inertia and procrastination.
When you're passionate about something, focus and drive come naturally.

Zanza

Germany has an extremely high growth of cases right now. 65.000 cases yesterday, assumed to be three times as high. Case fatality rate right now is 0.8%, meaning about 400 of those reported as infected will die eventually. Our ICU capacity is getting to the limit. Patients are already medevaced to Italy etc.

Government will decree another lockdown in the next days.

Zanza

Utter failure of politics. Opened up too fast, did too little for preparing booster vaccination.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on November 18, 2021, 03:22:31 PM
Utter failure of politics. Opened up too fast, did too little for preparing booster vaccination.

That was Alberta's story - summer 2021 we declared victory (when vax rates were barely at 50%) and removed all restrictions.  Few months later we had the worst outbreak in Canada with virtually all surgeries cancelled because hospitals were full of Covid cases.

It's finally dropped a lot, but government (finally!) has shown no sign they're going to remove current restrictions.

Hopefully once 5-11 year olds are vaxxed, and boosters for those who need them, we can finally consider lifting restrictions.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

I suppose the ongoing coalition negotiations did not help, with no proper government yet. Could Merkel have done a bit more before being out for good or was she just merkeling out? As nearly always.

Zanza

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 18, 2021, 03:32:18 PM

I suppose the ongoing coalition negotiations did not help, with no proper government yet. Could Merkel have done a bit more before being out for good or was she just merkeling out? As nearly always.
Merkel was typically on the forefront for more stringent measures, but constitutionally the state premiers have the powers regarding public health, not the federal chancellor. But yes, election campaign and coalition talks with acting government did not help. The new coalition did pass a law today against opposition Merkels party.

Syt

Some parts of Austria are running low on PCR tests. And the central test result database is urging test labs to not enter negative results anymore, because the database is overloaded with the number of tests at the moment.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Austria is going in full lockdown on Monday, for 10 days, with an option to extend by 10 days. Yay.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2021, 03:40:07 AM
Austria is going in full lockdown on Monday, for 10 days, with an option to extend by 10 days. Yay.

:(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Also rumors of a vaccination mandate starting Feb 1st.

EDIT: Mandate is confirmed.

Lockdown as said 10 days with an optional extra 10 days with no further extensions. Afterwards lockdown for non-vaccinated. Surprisingly frank language by Chancellor Schallenberg - too many people refuse to show solidarity, influenced by extremist parties and fake news on social media, so vaccine mandate is necessary.
—Stephen Jay Gould