News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

That's two prominent black Republicans. Clarence Thomas better watch out.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 18, 2021, 10:51:28 AM
That's two prominent black Republicans. Clarence Thomas better watch out.

Who was the first?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Barrister

Eddie Teach

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 18, 2021, 10:27:37 AM
He had immune system suppressing cancer
Get out of here with your so-called facts, Timmy.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

He likely deserved a thread of his own.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

mongers

UK currently recording about 50,000 new infections a day and a daily average of 124 deaths.  <_<

I expect Shelf to be along shortly to say how spiffingly things are going.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

:lol: The booster campaign and roll-out in schools is going very badly (which, interestingly, Cummings said would happen because the booster campaign was going to be run by the DHSC as a BAU vaccination campaign). From what I've read (John Burn-Murdoch did a long thread recently) the big issue we're facing now is a faltering booster campaign and waning effectiveness of vaccines. For example around 35% of older people in France and Italy had two doses five months ago (when effectiveness starts to wane), in the UK it's 75% - given that, the incredible slowness of the booster campaign is a big problem (though weirdly I got mine very quickly for some reason :blink: :hmm:).

Having said that pandemic end when societies decide that the level of lethality is acceptable and I think that's maybe the level the UK is at. I read the piece in the Guardian about why the UK is so indifferent about this - and I think the one fact they didn't mention is crucial and what AR has said: everyone who wants a vaccine either has had it or can get it. Obviously that shouldn't stop government trying to convince people who haven't had it to have it, but I think it does impact the willingness of wider society to go into any form of lockdowns/new restrictions.

Even the focus of people who are unhappy at current levels focus on masks. They are helpful, they are great for allowing/encouraging social shaming for people who miss judging park folk, but there's a mask mandate in Scotland and there's no material difference with the death rate v England (if anything it looks a little worse in Scotland). So masks alone are not enough, what we'd actually need to get numbers down are restrictions on gatherings etc. All of which might happen over the winter - but to be clear if we want to get that number down it's not a case of mask mandates alone doing it but re-instating limits on gatherings etc which, so far, no-one seems to want.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on October 19, 2021, 07:03:50 AM
UK currently recording about 50,000 new infections a day and a daily average of 124 deaths.  <_<

I expect Shelf to be along shortly to say how spiffingly things are going.  :P

Take it on the chin.  :P

[spoiler]You should have known, by now.[/spoiler]

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Poor Travis Hamonic. Throwing away his career for nothing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 19, 2021, 10:46:44 AM
Poor Travis Hamonic. Throwing away his career for nothing.

and evander kane submitted a forged vaccine card. out for 21 games
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.