Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2021, 11:25:11 AM
But I don't think so. It seems as tiresome as the Lutheran v Catholic shit in 19th century Germany. The intricate interests tugging around the papacy in old Italy seem at least colorful.
I'm sure there are some historians fascinated by the Lutheran v Catholic shit in 19th century Germany.  It wouldn't be my first choice of reading though. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

I just read and agreed to my employer's Covid 19 policy, which is basically everyone who works on site needs to be vaccinated.

At this rate it won't be long before tens of millions are applying to work at Hobby Lobby.

I wonder what Chik-Fi-let's policy is.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2021, 03:26:06 PM

Interestingly enough, the Balkan countries have the lowest vaccination rates of all Europe, not that you would ever guess from this map.

Sheilbh

Yeah - it makes me think of those articles I posted about Bulgaria and Romania basically having ridiculously low vaccine take-up compared to the rest of the EU :( In the non-EU Western Balkans vaccine access may also have been an issue.

I find the range in the Baltics really interesting/surprising.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

So they call their workforce "The Herd"  :lol:

Jacob

That's a solid $12 a week (assuming 40 hours a week).

Also from a communication management point of view... if you feel the need to put "it may seem small..." into your message, then it may be that your message sucks.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on October 14, 2021, 03:26:06 PM

things do look back for Bosnia and Romania.  Estonia too.  Not many people vaccinated, I guess?

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Estonia is the one on top Veep.  Only 16.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on October 14, 2021, 04:05:07 PM
That's a solid $12 a week (assuming 40 hours a week).

Also from a communication management point of view... if you feel the need to put "it may seem small..." into your message, then it may be that your message sucks.
Or about 10 McDonald's coffees per week, after tax. :P

Berkut

I just interviewed a developer. We are rather desperate for good developers right now, the labor market is insanely tight and we are absolutely constrained by our ability to scale our human resources.

Guy has great credentials, a lot of the certifications we are looking for, and looks technically excellent.

I ask him why he is leaving his current job, and he tells me

1. His co-workers are great, but management keeps putting out newsletters that include "ridiculous" politics.
2. The company has announced a vaccine mandate, and he refuses to provide information about his health to his employers.

I am kind of torn here. I need people really, really badly. We don't have any kind of mandate, and we are nearly completely remote work anyway. I would suspect that about 90% of our employees are very progressive/liberal, but I know a couple are not. But nobody talks about politics really at all, for the most part. It just isn't something we do.

And while we are remote, we do have twice a year or so get togethers. And we do ask our employees to simply tell us whether they are vaccinated, and we let everyone know that, so THEY can make informed choices about whether or not they want to come into the office, or attend a meeting. Mostly nobody actually cares - we have 1 manager who is not, but literally everyone else is, and most everyone is just like "Whatever - I am vaccinated".

I am not sure I want to hire someone who seems so charged up about this that he is talking about it with me literally 10 minutes into a job interview. On the other hand, it seems a bit unfair to assume this would even be an issue.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Strange the UK is doing so poorly as you never really hear anyrhing about it anymore.
Are they just slowly releasing the pressure and killing the elderly?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on October 15, 2021, 02:31:39 AM
I just interviewed a developer. We are rather desperate for good developers right now, the labor market is insanely tight and we are absolutely constrained by our ability to scale our human resources.

Guy has great credentials, a lot of the certifications we are looking for, and looks technically excellent.

I ask him why he is leaving his current job, and he tells me

1. His co-workers are great, but management keeps putting out newsletters that include "ridiculous" politics.
2. The company has announced a vaccine mandate, and he refuses to provide information about his health to his employers.

I am kind of torn here. I need people really, really badly. We don't have any kind of mandate, and we are nearly completely remote work anyway. I would suspect that about 90% of our employees are very progressive/liberal, but I know a couple are not. But nobody talks about politics really at all, for the most part. It just isn't something we do.

And while we are remote, we do have twice a year or so get togethers. And we do ask our employees to simply tell us whether they are vaccinated, and we let everyone know that, so THEY can make informed choices about whether or not they want to come into the office, or attend a meeting. Mostly nobody actually cares - we have 1 manager who is not, but literally everyone else is, and most everyone is just like "Whatever - I am vaccinated".

I am not sure I want to hire someone who seems so charged up about this that he is talking about it with me literally 10 minutes into a job interview. On the other hand, it seems a bit unfair to assume this would even be an issue.

Sounds like he might end up being a difficult employee.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.