News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/politics/florida-coronavirus-death-figures-withheld/index.html

QuoteFlorida Medical Examiners Commission chairman says state officials asked them to withhold coronavirus death figures

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on April 30, 2020, 08:07:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 30, 2020, 07:03:42 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 30, 2020, 04:57:29 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 30, 2020, 12:53:51 AM
I don't see how the US opening schools would lead to millions of dead school kids. In Sweden schools for grades 1-9 have remained open, and so far we have (thank God) not a single Covid-19 death among the under-20s.

Absolutely no one said that the US opening schools would lead to millions of dead school kids.

Could it be exhibit #319712 of swedish humblebrag?

/yawn

CC did, see above.

Well, my bad then  :blush:

:hug:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on April 30, 2020, 09:39:03 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/politics/florida-coronavirus-death-figures-withheld/index.html

QuoteFlorida Medical Examiners Commission chairman says state officials asked them to withhold coronavirus death figures

Florida man usually isn't this zany. :hmm:

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on April 30, 2020, 08:07:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 30, 2020, 07:03:42 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 30, 2020, 04:57:29 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 30, 2020, 12:53:51 AM
I don't see how the US opening schools would lead to millions of dead school kids. In Sweden schools for grades 1-9 have remained open, and so far we have (thank God) not a single Covid-19 death among the under-20s.

Absolutely no one said that the US opening schools would lead to millions of dead school kids.

Could it be exhibit #319712 of swedish humblebrag?

/yawn

CC did, see above.

Well, my bad then  :blush:
I just read that it seems children aren't a great vector of infection.  There shouldn't be millions of dead by keeping schools open.  If we'd known that 4 months ago, things could have been different too.

That's the problem with pandemics, we learn as we go.  Some learn the hard way that an asshole coughing in their face is a great vector of transmission... (sorry ;) But I'm really glad you're ok now :) ).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 30, 2020, 09:16:11 PM
But just think how much we'd save on social security by doing nothing!
that is true.  It would be an economic boom for mortuaries, but there would be a depression for LTCs.  If only we'd have an actuary here to calculate this for us...  :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on April 30, 2020, 09:26:13 PM
So, a bunch of states will begin reopening business next week, are conservatives just going to pretend that the continued deaths aren't happening?
As long as dead people can still vote Republican, there is no problem.

Or they're betting it will disproportionally affect black&hispanics. Win-win scenario.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on April 30, 2020, 07:55:31 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 30, 2020, 02:18:45 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 30, 2020, 09:09:29 AM

We are tracking at just under 500 unemployed claims for every covid 19 death.

oh FFS why do I still bother reading your posts.

Because there isn't a block function. Believe me, I've looked.....
I asked about it a long time ago, and was told that Languish would die with such a function.  I came to realize it is true.

garbon

I gave up on him long ago :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

According to the Economist -

QuoteSmokers seem less likely than non-smokers to fall ill with covid-19

Aquarter of French adults smoke. Many people were surprised, therefore, when researchers reported late in April that only 5% of 482 covid-19 patients who came to the Pitié-Salpêtrière hospital in Paris between February 28th and April 9th were daily smokers. The ratios of smokers to non-smokers in earlier tallies at hospitals in America, China and elsewhere in France varied. But all revealed habitual smokers to be significantly underrepresented among those requiring hospital treatment for the illness. Smokers, the authors of the report wrote, "are much less likely" to suffer severely from sars-cov-2, the virus that causes covid-19. Rarely, they added, is such a result seen in medicine.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2020, 02:15:59 AM

I gave up on him long ago :cool:

We all should have given up when he admitted to being Dorsey and inventing the whole alfred russell persona.

The Brain

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Quote from: katmai on May 01, 2020, 06:01:30 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 01, 2020, 05:24:27 AM
I still read his posts. :)
do you read my posts

I cannot not read them. You're like a morbidly obese train wreck.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Iormlund

Quote from: Monoriu on May 01, 2020, 04:22:55 AM
According to the Economist -

QuoteSmokers seem less likely than non-smokers to fall ill with covid-19

Aquarter of French adults smoke. Many people were surprised, therefore, when researchers reported late in April that only 5% of 482 covid-19 patients who came to the Pitié-Salpêtrière hospital in Paris between February 28th and April 9th were daily smokers. The ratios of smokers to non-smokers in earlier tallies at hospitals in America, China and elsewhere in France varied. But all revealed habitual smokers to be significantly underrepresented among those requiring hospital treatment for the illness. Smokers, the authors of the report wrote, "are much less likely" to suffer severely from sars-cov-2, the virus that causes covid-19. Rarely, they added, is such a result seen in medicine.

The stats I'm looking at for patients with a similar condition and medication as me have smokers as only 5% of samples. That might be because something in tobacco protects them or because smoking is heavily contraindicated for these patologies (or a combination of both).

However note that once diagnosed positive their ICU admission rate is about the same as non-smokers. And they are almost 4 times as likely to die if it comes to that.