Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on April 30, 2020, 07:03:42 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 30, 2020, 04:57:29 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 30, 2020, 12:53:51 AM
I don't see how the US opening schools would lead to millions of dead school kids. In Sweden schools for grades 1-9 have remained open, and so far we have (thank God) not a single Covid-19 death among the under-20s.

Absolutely no one said that the US opening schools would lead to millions of dead school kids.

Could it be exhibit #319712 of swedish humblebrag?

/yawn

CC did, see above.

Good to see that someone is reading his posts.  Thanks for taking one for the team.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2020, 10:26:06 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 01, 2020, 09:47:31 AM
Quote from: Gups on May 01, 2020, 09:40:30 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 01, 2020, 08:18:48 AM
Alfred has taken some dubious positions in this thread IMO but the last deserves serious consideration.  The longer the US is locked down, the greater the likelihood that job and income losses become permanent.  Sustained 15-20% unemployment would be catastrophic and that level of loss of income will cost many lives.  In America at least, we have to consider the possibility that we've lost the war against COVID and are incapable of winning given our current political and institutional context.  We probably aren't going to herd our 50 cats for a consistent strategic response (nor do we have a shepherd capable or interested in doing that) or enact effective nationwide measures for testing, tracking and tracing and so it may be all we can do is control to some degree the timing over which the population becomes exposed and infected.  Either way, we have reached the point where it is longer fair to say its a lives vs $ tradeoff, it is tradeoff of some people's lives against others, with the potential magnitudes on both sides uncertain.

There's no reason why quality of life for those losing income shouldn't be part of the equation/discussion as well.

OK Evil Hitler.

Because regular Hitler... wasn't evil? :hmm:

He is Swedish...Sweden took a neutral stance in WWII.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

They appear to have taken a neutral stance toward the Virus as well...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Malthus on May 01, 2020, 09:35:20 AM

You can always try burning it down again.

I mean, it's worked before.  ;)

No it didn't.  :huh:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

fromtia

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/27/845165404/ex-officials-call-for-46-billion-for-tracing-isolating-in-next-coronavirus-packa

Here is a plan. Might not be the best plan, but it's a plan. Something, anything. I have an open mind, or at least I'm trying my best to have one.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Josquius

So it seems we are heading ever further  into Chernobyl territory here. Incidentally I'm just watching that series.

The government finally hits its 100,000 tests a day target. Huzzah!

.... For one day....

And it had to transparently fudge the numbers to do so.

https://www.hsj.co.uk/quality-and-performance/revealed-how-government-changed-the-rules-to-hit-100000-tests-target/7027544.article
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Habbaku on May 01, 2020, 12:38:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 01, 2020, 09:35:20 AM

You can always try burning it down again.

I mean, it's worked before.  ;)

No it didn't.  :huh:

Got Lincoln reelected.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

I think just capturing Atlanta was sufficient to get him re-elected. The burning was a bit of an overkill.

Also: didn't the Confederates start that fire or am I misremembering that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2020, 10:26:06 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 01, 2020, 09:47:31 AM
Quote from: Gups on May 01, 2020, 09:40:30 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 01, 2020, 08:18:48 AM
Alfred has taken some dubious positions in this thread IMO but the last deserves serious consideration.  The longer the US is locked down, the greater the likelihood that job and income losses become permanent.  Sustained 15-20% unemployment would be catastrophic and that level of loss of income will cost many lives.  In America at least, we have to consider the possibility that we've lost the war against COVID and are incapable of winning given our current political and institutional context.  We probably aren't going to herd our 50 cats for a consistent strategic response (nor do we have a shepherd capable or interested in doing that) or enact effective nationwide measures for testing, tracking and tracing and so it may be all we can do is control to some degree the timing over which the population becomes exposed and infected.  Either way, we have reached the point where it is longer fair to say its a lives vs $ tradeoff, it is tradeoff of some people's lives against others, with the potential magnitudes on both sides uncertain.

There's no reason why quality of life for those losing income shouldn't be part of the equation/discussion as well.

OK Evil Hitler.

Because regular Hitler... wasn't evil? :hmm:

Not nearly as evil as people who want society to function during Covid-19.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2020, 02:15:59 AM
Quote from: merithyn on April 30, 2020, 07:55:31 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 30, 2020, 02:18:45 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 30, 2020, 09:09:29 AM

We are tracking at just under 500 unemployed claims for every covid 19 death.

oh FFS why do I still bother reading your posts.

:hug:

Because there isn't a block function. Believe me, I've looked.....

I gave up on him long ago :cool:

I've always known you to be a clever sort.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Our CMO told the company yesterday that the testing being done is insufficient, and the results are problematic as they are only administered correctly about half the time. This is in our four-state area (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Utah). Additionally, the titre testing is only accurate about 25% of the time, and we still don't know if three months out that's beneficial.

:mellow:

I've truly never felt more hopeless in my life.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Got my sweet, sweet unemployment bonus.  :w00t:

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Razgovory on May 01, 2020, 11:58:41 AM
They appear to have taken a neutral stance toward the Virus as well...

That's reasonable. The virus could very well win and it would pay to be the first country on their side.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

fromtia

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

HisMajestyBOB

Sounds communist. We'd be better off giving all of that money to a few select individuals and allowing it to trickle down as God intended.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help